About the Job
Assistant editorial page editor sought for Charleston (S.C.) Post and Courier, a politically conservative daily also focused on quality of life issues, public education and conservation. Applicants should have strong analytical skills and be able to write persuasively on deadline about a wide range of editorial topics. The position assists in page production, including letters to the editor and column selection. The assistant editorial page editor will be responsible for the operation of the editorial department in the EPE’s absence and will help develop an expanded weekend op-ed section and broaden online presence.
A minimum of 10 years’ experience in a daily newspaper environment is required, including reporting as well as an editorial background. A bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field is required.Knowledge of InDesign and InCopy is desirable.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: In this role you will support senior editorial staff in all aspects of the administration, planning and production of opinion pages.Responsible for the operation of the editorial department in the EPE’s absence and will help develop an expanded weekend op-ed section and broaden online presence.
- Assist with editing content
- Contribute editorial pieces
- Fact checking, spelling, grammar, writing style, and page design
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a daily newspaper environment is required—including reporting as well as an editorial background
- Experience with software used for page design/copy editing (InDesign, InCopy, etc.)
- Solid understanding of editorial style and guidelines (AP Style).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of InDesign and InCopy is desirable
- Strong organizational skills, with attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment under the pressure of strict deadlines
- Strong analytical skills, along with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, hearing, speaking and writing; close eye work on computer screen; required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, bend and stoop; light to moderate lifting 15-30 pounds—per safety policy.
Send a resume and three clips of original writing