About the Job
As a Bioinformatics Engineer, the successful candidate will perform bioinformatics support, data quality assurance and curation activities for our clients at the National Institutes of Health and other scientific organizations. The position will either be located at client sites (DC metro area) or at the ESAC Office in Rockville, MD
- Serve as bioinformatics expert for new and existing projects for our clients.
- Be a member of team building software applications and scientific database for life sciences.
- Provide bioinformatics services to assist scientific problem solving in a broad range of research topics. Typical daily work might include custom data processing, genomic sequence, SNP and gene expression analysis.
- Lead the data curation activities for the scientific databases including working with scientists, publication research and verification.
- Write custom scripts and develop programs in Perl, Python, R, Java etc.
- Knowledge of immunology, vaccines, allergy or autoimmune disease a plus.
- M.S. or equivalent degree (Ph.D. preferred) with combined education and experience in bioinformatics. Applicants with education background in bioinformatics or related topics (e.g. mathematics and computer science/engineering) plus significant combined education and experience in one or more of biology, biochemistry, genetics, immunology, bioinformatics will be considered.
- 5+ years of bioinformatics experience including programming in Perl/Python/R/Java
- Knowledge or experience with high throughput data and data curation activities including microarray gene-expression, genotyping, next generation sequencing, etc
- Experience in translating customer requirements into technical requirements.
- Ability to identify, prioritize, and execute tasks to meet critical project deadlines.
- Knowledge of Unix/Linux, Windows, Scripting (Perl etc)
- Experience with relational databases like Oracle, MySQL, etc.
- Independent problem solver that enjoys collaborative research
- Excellent communication and people skills.
- Experience in a user-centric and result-oriented setup, e.g. core facility or helpdesk.
- Experience with proteomics, biomarker discovery, protein ID and protein characterization.
- Experience with commonly used mass spectrometers and both qualitative and quantitative data analysis methods and software.
- Familiarity with the challenges of managing large amounts of data and large number of samples.
- Experience in design and execution of analytical workflows and the display/visualization of results.
- Formal coursework or advanced training in one or more of the following: biology, immunology, genetics, biochemistry, bioinformatics, software engineering. Knowledgeable of assay platforms flow Cytometry/ELISA/ELISPOT a plus
- Knowledge/experience in mass spectrometry and LCMS data interpretation.
- Python and R programming experience a plus
- Knowledge in scientific and statistical software development, e.g. implementation of statistical tests and computing algorithms using a mainstream programming language.
About ESAC Inc.
ESAC, Inc. provides innovative information technology solutions to facilitate research data management for life science companies and the federal government. Our mission is to support the global vision of personalized medicine by providing value added services and products. We are always looking for people with strong educational and technical backgrounds in bioinformatics, standards, healthcare IT and related subject matter expertise. ESAC has been recognized as one of the 2015 Great Places to Work in the Washington, DC area by the Washingtonian Magazine and also awarded a 2016 Top Workplaces honored by the Washington Post.
Our benefits package includes the following:
● Competitive Base and Incentive Compensation
● Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
● 401(k) Employee Savings Plan with matching company contribution
● Generous Paid Time Off policy
● Company Holidays
● Employee Assistance Program
● Other fringe benefits and perks