About the Job
· The BioMedical Laboratory Technician shall log in samples and assign Personal Identification Numbers (PINs) to samples.
· Prepare, process, analyze and store samples using molecular-based methods including but not limited to Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA)/Ribonucleic Acid (RNA) extraction and Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), instrumentation, and Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and supporting the Genomic Personalized Healthcare Initiative (genetics, genomics, metabolomics, bioinformatics; “G2P”).
· Document sample results in lab notebooks and shall enter results into spreadsheets and databases as required.
· Shall follow the specimen processing schedule set by the Government Lab Manager at weekly lab team meetings.
· Prepare reports with tables and graphs showing de-identified testing results and trends; minimum of weekly reporting, maximum of daily reporting based on priority and quantity of specimens collected.
· Provide appropriate technical recommendations regarding best strategies and scientific approaches to achieve program objectives.
· Review CAMD SOPs and CAMD OIs every six months.
· Provide recommended updates to Government as appropriate in support of CAMD protocols and on-site equipment.
· CAMD protocols include but are not limited to: Diagnosis and Epidemiology of Upper Respiratory Tract Infections in the Basic Military Trainee Population, Genetic Epidemiology of Risk-Associated Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Genetic Repository study of upper respiratory blood and genetic material specimens, Surveillance of Respiratory, Viruses in Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center Clinic Patients, Retrospective Analysis of the Incidence of Viral and Bacterial Pathogens Associated with Respiratory Illness. Author new CAMD SOPs and/or CAMD OIs as necessary for new CAMD pieces of equipment and/or protocols.
· Monitor and report scientific progress to ensure that appropriate protocols, Quality Assurance (QA), Quality Control (QC) IAW GLP are followed.
· Shall ensure procedures are followed to properly optimize and document any new assays used.Notify Contracting Officer Representative (COR) or onsite Government representative of any issues with potential to affect CAMD Lab’s ability to process samples (e.g., personnel absences, low supplies, equipment problems).
· Test and evaluate equipment assessment and research platforms.
· Author final technical reports of test outcomes and evaluations of diagnostic platforms and provide to appropriate personnel IAW as determined at weekly lab meetings with Government. Maintain repository of samples.
· May be required to ship samples upon request to other Federal Agencies IAW established procedures.
· Use established checklists (daily and weekly) for all equipment and perform routine maintenance IAW the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) instructions on all Government Owned Property and special test equipment within and assigned to the CAMD.
· Perform PCR-based techniques such as quantitative Real-Time Polymerase Chain Reaction (qPCR) and end-point PCR. Use gel electrophoresis for downstream analysis of end-point PCR products.
· Prepare wet/dry Master Mix for PCR reactions. Perform both manual and automated nucleic acid extraction/isolation methods.
· Perform DNA sequencing studies to determine biomarkers and other relevant parameters in support of approved protocols as determined by 59th MDW/ST to include, but not limited to, Genetic Epidemiology of Risk-Associated Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms of Types 2 Diabetes Mellitus.
· In coordination with Government Laboratory Manager or other designated Government representative, provide supplemental support in processing patient biological samples using molecular-based methods, instrumentation, and GLP and techniques to support various types of study protocols including, but not limited to, Diagnosis and Epidemiology of Upper Respiratory Tract Infections in the Basic Military Trainee Population and Viruses in Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center Clinic Patients.
· Operate Next-Generation Sequencers (NGS) such as the Illumina MiSeq, Roche FLX/GS Junior Sequencers, and the Qiagen PyroMark Q96. Assist in ordering study materials, supplies and equipment as specified in the research protocols.
· Support compliance and inspection activities. Supply Management.
· Develop written project, protocol and status reports and other support documentation. Written reports shall include, but not are limited to, the following: Daily Enrollment Report, Weekly Protocol Enrollment and Status Report, Monthly Status Report, Protocol Annual Progress Report and Closeout Report inputs, Quick Look Results Reports and Bi-weekly Trend Reports, Special Project Plans and Results Reports.
· Shall have, at a minimum, a Bachelor’s degree
· Three (3) years of laboratory experience in the required laboratory sciences specialty.
· Shall have experience with testing and evaluating specimens/samples for amplification of nucleic acids for reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction studies.
· Shall have experience using/operating bio-safety cabinets, incubators, centrifuges, pH meters, balances and other supporting laboratory equipment.
· Shall have computer, data management and processing skills, to include a minimum intermediate level experience with Excel and other Microsoft Office Software.
· Shall have experience and/or qualified to do research testing in various fields of medical technology to include but not limited to toxicology, chemistry, microbiology, hematology/coagulation, cell biology, and molecular biology.
· Be familiar with solid phase and liquid extractions; gas chromatography, liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry.
· Shall have experience isolating nucleic acids from specimens/samples non-stored and from samples stored in the laboratory repository. Test and evaluate results of analyses obtained from genomic sequencing test platforms.
· Shall have and maintain a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification, as well as valid and current professional certifications and licenses required for practice in field.
· Current International Air Transport Association (IATA) shipping certification preferred.
Apply online at http://www.eagle-app-sci.com/