Armstrong Service provides utility operation and maintenance services to RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company at the Tobaccoville and Whitaker Park facilities. We are currently looking for a HVAC Technician to maintain critical plant utility systems.
The HVAC primary purpose is to apply knowledge of utility processes and equipment to perform all regular and non-routine plant maintenance of associated utility equipment. This is an ideal opportunity for an individual that would like to suggest and implement utility system improvements, and join a successful organization with a real opportunity for career advancement.
Essential Job Functions
The desired candidate should have a proven successful history of working on BMS HVAC controls, balancing energy management with comfort controls, troubleshooting and repairs to HVAC/refrigeration equipment to include; chillers, roof-top units, freezers, humidification, dryers, cooling towers and other various utilities units.
The candidate should have a proven customer service background and the ability to interact well with customer and fellow staff.
This job requires the ability to read technical drawings, specifications, use measuring instruments and a knowledge/skill base in electrical and mechanical systems.
A technical education degree in HVAC/refrigeration along with field experience is preferred.
- Monitor, operate and maintain all plant operations and condition through the Distributed Control System (DCS).
- Starting, stopping, and regulating the plant utilities and system components including chillers, boilers, air washers, HVAC units, air and vacuum compressors for optimum efficiency.
- Address and troubleshoot, stabilizing, and/or resolving emergency situations.
- Make routine plant tours and equipment inspections. Evaluate and report equipment / system malfunctions and unusual trends or conditions to Site Supervision.
- Respond to facility trouble calls. Resolve non-routine situations such as Hot / Cold calls, environmental ISO condition problems and utility equipment malfunctions.
- As directed, perform lockout and preventative maintenance on mechanical equipment and systems.
- Maintain detailed logs/records of all activities.
- Ensures that all SOPs are followed and ISO, OSHA and other documentation requirements are met.
- Reviews and makes recommendations for improving SOPs.
- Interact with the Team Lead and Maintenance Manager to ensure compliance of operational and safety records compliance.
- Communicates with client and customers related to routine technical aspects of operations and responds to inquiries.
- Fully participated in all training and qualification programs.
- When possible, provides technical direction, assistance and training to other personnel.
- Train employees on proper plant operations, repair and installation techniques, SOPs and safe work practices.
- Performs related duties as required or directed by supervision. Work Schedule: Rotating shifts, to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- May be required in emergency situations to report to work during unscheduled time Perform any task assigned to satisfy clients’ needs
- Other duties as assigned
The statements contained in this job description reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
Job Qualifications and Education Required
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- High school graduate or possess a State issued GED certificate
- Education: AA/AS/AAS degree in relevant field (preferred) or equivalent military training or industrial technical training which includes a thorough understanding of industrial Steam Boilers HVAC/R, mechanical, electrical, & control systems
- Driver’s license with clean driving record
- Must be able to use basic Microsoft Office Suite, spreadsheet and word processing computer programs to enter data and prepare correspondence.
- Must be able to learn to operate programmable logic controllers (PLC's) to monitor and maintain operations
Good sensory perception to monitor plant machinery and operations visually, audibly, by smell, and by touch (for temperature and vibration) on an ongoing basis. Ability to monitor radio messages while doing other work throughout shift. Ability to wear all required safety and protective gear and equipment
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Summary of Benefits: *all benefits start on date of hire
o Health/dental/vision/prescription coverage
o Flex Spending Account
o Life Insurance Company-match 401(k) Plan
o Vacation, sick and holiday pay
o Extensive in house and computerized technical training
- Compensation is hourly wage paid weekly
Armstrong Service, Inc. is committed to hiring returning veterans.
Armstrong Service Inc. (ASI), a division of Armstrong International, is under contract to provide steam, condensate return, and other utilities for our customer's facility. Armstrong Service, Inc. is a highly successful 116-year-old family owned company. As a global company spanning five generations of family ownership, we are passionate about sustaining the needs of future generations by sharing knowledge and working together to achieve universal goals such as conserving and saving energy. As companies grow they can become complex and bureaucratic. At Armstrong, we empower our people to respond and take action. No waiting for a decision from someone in the corner office. That’s why we remain one of the swiftest and simplest companies to do business with on the planet.
Learn more about Armstrong at www.armstronginternational.com