JOB TITLE: Security Officer
REPORTS TO: Shift Commander, Supervisor, Manager, Associate Director and Director
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-time 35 hours/week (40 hours/week minus 5 hours /week for meal breaks). Must be available for two of the three shifts.
POSITION OVERVIEW: To protect the students, staff, faculty, visitors, and property of SVA.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Follow and carry out all instructions of the shift supervisors or other security management.
· Detect unusual circumstances and/or suspicious individuals.
· Detect defective doors, windows, locks, lights, and fire safety equipment while making periodic checks of the entire building.
· Respond to alarms, disturbances and potentially hazardous conditions and/or activities.
· Deter unlawful entry onto the premises by undesirables and individuals with negative intentions.
· Deter smoking on the premises and the perpetration of unlawful acts against the College and its community such as vandalism, burglaries, assaults etc.
· Report to supervisors all activities or observances that would or could allow harm to the people or property of the school or interfere with the duties and responsibilities of an officer.
· Be presentable in a neat & clean uniform when stationed at a point of entry to a building/premises.
· Provide necessary information to visitors and affiliates of the College such as directions and location of facilities, at all times displaying an acceptable degree of respect, professionalism, courtesy and tolerance.
· Patrol building by foot, at times having to move from one building to another.
· Provide constant vigil on surveillance equipment (CCTV monitors) and alarms.
· Log in entries in daily activity logbook every hour or upon the occurrence of irregular/abnormal situations/circumstances.
· Prepare or assist in the preparation of security reports.
· Provides Meal Relief for one hour to other security officers as needed.
· High School diploma or an equivalent education.
· Security-related experience.
· Accessible via phone during off hours.
· Ability to read, speak & write English fluently.
· Good interpersonal communication skills to relate to the college community, visitors and affiliates.
· Available for overtime and to cover vacations, sick/personal days, etc.
· All security officers must have a valid and active license or provide documentation that a license is pending at the time of hire.
· All security officers are responsible for renewing their license each year to maintain employment.
School of Visual Arts has been a leader in the education of artists, designers, and creative professionals for more than six decades. With a faculty of distinguished working professionals, dynamic curriculum, and an emphasis on critical thinking, SVA is a catalyst for innovation and social responsibility. Comprised of more than 6,000 students at its Manhattan campus and 35,000 alumni in 100 countries, SVA also represents one of the most influential artistic communities in the world. For information about the College’s 31 undergraduate and graduate degree programs, visit sva.edu.
Find out what it’s like to work at SVA visit: www.sva.edu/about-sva/working-at-sva .
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.comHelp. No walk-ins or calls please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer.