About the Job
Title: Sr Underwriter
Location: Remotely or League City, TX
American National was started in 1905 in Galveston, TX, and also has offices in League City, TX, Springfield, MO, and Albany, NY. We offer life, accident and health insurance; property/casualty insurance for personal lines, agribusiness and targeted commercial businesses; and retirement, annuities and pension plan products.
Why work for American National?
- Competitive compensation
- Comprehensive health coverage
- Career advancement
- Professional Development
- Team Oriented atmosphere
Who we are looking for?
American National is seeking a Senior Underwriter. The ideal candidate for this position would have a high attention to detail, proven ability to meet deadlines and strong interpersonal skills.
The primary duties are as follows:
- The incumbent is responsible for underwriting life insurance applications promptly and accurately. They will be responsible for assisting with training of other underwriters and underwriting technicians.
- Underwrite life insurance applications making competitive, sound offers, in an effort to protect over all company mortality and maintain or reduce requirement costs
- Review applications in a timely fashion in order to meet department production goals
- Classifying files into preferred and super preferred categories when the product supports such rates
- Perform large case underwriting from career field force as well as brokerage market
- Handle referrals from Senior/Advanced/Junior Underwriters and Underwriting Technicians
- Determine when the risk requires referral upward to a Chief Underwriter or company Officer to insure the best underwriting of every risk
- Electronic reporting of MIB reports by entering codes on personal computers as files are worked
- Responsible for accurate entry or decisions into the life underwriting system
- Handle phone calls and emails from the field on a variety of topics including appeals on underwriting decisions, discussion of complex medical and financial underwriting issues, and pre-qualification question.
What we are looking for?
- College degree preferred
- 3 - 8 years of experience in underwriting risk selection and risk management
- LOMA courses expected
- ALU Courses preferred
- Knowledge of risk factors, particularly medical terms and their effect on assumptions and large case management
- Heavy experience in workflow system methods, knowledge of successful operation of underwriting department.
- Proficient data entry skills.
- Strong organization skills, technical skills in underwriting & attention to detail w/ high level accuracy.
- Excellent written, oral communication and comprehension skills.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- High-level initiative, follow-through & accountability for actions.