- Position Description
This position is in the Natural Resources Parks and Recreation Department.
Salary Grade: 36
Performs routine trades or craftsman duties above the helper or apprentice levels, maintaining and repairing facilities, equipment, vehicles, their parts or surrounding grounds in direct support of a process, system or facility. Also, participates in construction or renovation activities. Work requires manual labor and the use of hand and powered tools, equipment and/or vehicles and frequently involves repetitive individual tasks in a variety of work settings.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Constructs, erects, installs and repairs assorted wooden items and structures;
Applies paints, varnish, stains, and other finishes to interior and exterior surfaces, trimmings and fixtures;
Evaluates and repairs roofs by applying water- and weatherproofing materials, emulsified blacktops and mortar, as necessary;
Installs, adjusts, rebuilds, repairs, replaces and maintains a variety of locks in County facilities;
Makes minor repairs and adjustments to plumbing, steam, and water systems and fixtures, electrical wiring and fixtures, doors, windows and pumps;
Adjusts, corrects, and manipulates digital files using specialized software to meet print shop requirements for printing;
Sets up, operates, adjusts and cleans offset printing equipment to produce various forms and media;
Inspects, repairs, patches, balances and mounts tires on County vehicles;
Obtains information from drivers and operators to determine condition of County vehicles and communications equipment;
Checks heavy equipment for proper fuel, hydraulic fluids, water, coolant and lubrication levels, and adds, as needed;
Installs new traffic control, street name and special events signs and sign posts;
Performs operator-level inspections, servicing and maintenance of assigned tools, equipment and vehicles;
Prepares areas undergoing repair, painting, maintenance, construction or other related activity, including collection and disposal of trash;
Operates powered maintenance and construction equipment;
Maintains manual or computerized service and usage logs and other records on vehicles, equipment, supported systems, supplies and related materials;
Stores, handles, applies and disposes of hazardous materials required to complete work or generated by work assignments;
Cuts, trims, seeds, fertilizes and applies herbicides and pesticides to turf grasses, soils, trees and ornamental shrubs;
Maintains security and accountability for all tools, equipment and materials required in performance of duties, particularly in a medical, detention or correctional setting;
Maintains and uses safety and personal protective equipment;
Inspects and inventories storage containers, bulk and parts stocks and records, either manually or in computerized systems, the contents, quantities, levels or disposition;
Explains rules, regulations or procedures to the public and other County employees for use of County facilities, vehicles and equipment;
Monitors and adjusts equipment or supported systems for proper functioning and reports deficiencies to supervisors;
Leads Trades Maintenance (TM) Helpers, TM Technicians and other employees, volunteers, community service workers, inmates or detainees in performing routine clean up and maintenance duties.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- operation and maintenance of basic hand and power tools, equipment and materials encountered in area of specialization of assigned work area;
- typical hazards of the assigned work-areas or encountered in the area of specialization, and safety procedures or equipment required;
- basic industry practices of the area of specialization, trade, craft or skill.
- performing routine trades or craftsman level duties in the area of assignment;
- following written and oral instructions;
- making basic mathematical calculations at level required for assigned duties;
- maintaining written and (if applicable) computer-based documentation of activities;
- communicating effectively.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) Two years of experience performing helper or apprentice level duties in landscape and/or building maintenance.
(Relevant training or education may substitute for up to one year of the aforementioned experience.)
(2) One year of experience within Pima County as a TM Helper in landscape and/or building maintenance. Some positions may require additional specialized training and/or experience.
(Relevant training or education may substitute for up to six months of the aforementioned experience.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- A minimum of one (1) year experience maintaining and repairing irrigation systems to include drip applications and turf irrigation.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience in landscape maintenance to include use and operation of riding mowers, string trimmers, pruning saws, chain saws, loppers, hand pruners, blowers, basic hand tools and small engine equip.
- A minimum of one (1) year experience in building and structure maintenance (painting, light carpentry, plumbing, changing lamps/light bulbs, cleaning and handyman type repairs).
- A minimum of one (1) year experience in operating, tying down and hauling various types of trailers and equipment.
- Possession of an Arizona certified applicator license.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Service's review and approval of the candidate's driving record. This position requires Arizona certification as an herbicide/pesticide applicator at the time of appointment or within six (6) months of initial/promotional probation period.
Special Notice Items: Due to need for access to law enforcement, detention or correctional facilities, some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation by law enforcement agencies. Some positions may carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-borne pathogens, asbestos or wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions may require any or all of the following: lifting and carrying up to seventy-five pounds or more; safely operating assigned vehicles and other powered equipment; working in extremes of heat, humidity, dust, or cold; wearing required safety clothing and equipment; working with or in the presence of obnoxious odors; working with noxious or potentially hazardous chemicals, compounds or products; ascending and descending ladders and stairs to reach and work upon elevated or below-grade work platforms and job sites; differentiating between colors.
Overall Job Objective