- Position Description
This position is in the Community Resources, Employment and Training Department.
Salary Grade: 24
Interviews and determines applicant eligibility for a variety of community services related programs including, but not limited to, training, educational assistance, employment placement, assistance with paying for/obtaining food, utilities, clothing, housing and home appliance/vehicle repair.
Preference given to current Pima County employees.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Interviews applicants to collect personal data such as earnings, expenses, family size, employment and education and completes application packet;
Determines applicant eligibility for training, educational assistance and/or employment placement or monetary assistance based upon appropriate federal, state or county assistance program guidelines;
Reviews documentation submitted by applicants to ensure program eligibility requirements are met;
Verifies gross earnings and length of employment by contacting applicants' previous employers;
Responds to public inquiries and serves as a resource to contracted agencies providing information about programs, application procedures, and eligibility requirements for federal, state or county assistance programs;
Prepares routine correspondence, memos, reports, and other documents;
Researches files and automated information systems to gather or verify data needed for processing activities;
Initiates, updates, processes and maintains manual client file/documentation and ensures compliance with program guidelines;
Performs data entry of client information into specialized databases and maintains, inputs and retrieves data to produce computer reports for management review and/or submission to applicable agencies/grant sources;
Maintains appropriate security and confidentiality of information created or encountered in the performance of assigned duties;
Acts as program representative to federal, state, county and local community organizations committees and boards;
Copies and distributes documentation to appropriate staff, department section and other county department or outside agencies;
Performs participant, employer and community agencies outreach and customer satisfaction surveys;
Contacts community agencies and vendors to make payment arrangement of utilities/home appliance/vehicle repair, clothing and mortgage or rent;
Initiates and documents client referrals to other community/public agencies and programs;
May conduct visits to schools, subcontractors' work sites and homes to conduct interviews.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- business English, grammar and composition;
- basic arithmetic;
- office practices and procedures;
- interviewing techniques involving the application of regulations;
- use of computer equipment for creation and maintenance of client and activity records;
- community resources and social service agencies.
- communicating effectively, both orally and in writing;
- maintaining records and preparing reports;
- interviewing applicants, maintaining confidentiality, and making determinations by comparing
- information to established criteria;
- verifying information using manual and automated methods;
- understanding and relating to the issues of multicultural individuals and their families;
- reading and understanding policies and procedures;
- establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with others;
- entering data into a computer database.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) One year of interviewing experience involving the application of regulations.
(2) Two years of general work experience involving public contact and the application of regulations.
(3) One year of experience with Pima County as an Office Support Level III.
(Additional relevant experience and/or education from an accredited university, college or trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience working with community action or social services programs that assist households in crisis facing foreclosure, eviction, job loss and/or utility shutoffs.
- Experience in conducting eligibility intakes and determining eligibility for income-based programs.
- Experience with computer software databases including online document management software and high volume data entry and retrieval.
- Knowledge of/experience with community resources.
- Familiar with a One-Stop environment.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish).
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions require a valid Arizona Class D driver license at the time of application. Failure to maintain the required licensure shall be grounds for termination.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.
Overall Job Objective