Are you an educator seeking a position that provides cutting-edge educational experiences to change kids' lives? Are you passionate about the social/emotional needs of scholars? If so, MetropolitanLighthouse College Preparatory Academy is the right place for you! We are currently seeking an innovative, energetic and committed Founding HS Bilingual Social Worker to join us for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Metropolitan LighthouseCPA is an established 9th-10th grade school striving to make positive changes in public education in the Bronx.
- We are currently collecting resumes for candidates interested our Counselor role
- Believe in the power of Restorative Practices in schools
Will you be the next strong addition to our 2018-2019 team of change-agents at Metropolitan Lighthouse College Prep Academy? Find out by applying now!
Lighthouse Academy (LHA)counselors are more than staff members. They help transform children’s lives by creating opportunities for a brighter future. We are seekinga counselorwho will make the commitment to teach with determination, integrity and purpose, embodying these essential qualities:
- Past experiences and actions reflect a commitment to the LHA mission, vision, core values
A passion and ability to build and sustain the LHA K-12 model in a high need, urban environment
- Work in schools that demonstrates a sense of urgency and the relentless pursuit of high academic student achievement
- Reflective, self-aware and adaptable to communication and work styles of others
- Critical thinker and problem solver who takes initiative
- Belief in the power of collaboration and works to build a collaborative culture with LHA network, community, staff,families and students
A Lighthouse Academy counselorprovides support services to students. Support services include referrals, counseling, assessment, diagnostics, and report writing. This work takes place at the school site. All counselors’ actions must always be aligned with our mission, vision, core values and education program. The essential functions for our counselors are as follows:
- Completes assessments, referrals, and counseling with students.
- Consults with other professional staff, outside agencies and other organizations.
- Serves as a member school based teams to provide support to students and confidential guidance to staff.
- Counsels students individually or in groups.
- Meets with staff to discuss strategies for certain student(s).
Examples of Work:
- Completes written reports of all cases and meetings.
- Interviews students, families, and staff.
- Make oral presentations of assessments, diagnostics, and observations, in accordance with all confidentiality laws and regulations.
- Collaborates with teaching staff to determine the best setting to meet student needs (i.e., individual counseling, social skill development groups, mentoring classes)
- Completes other reports as may be required by federal, state, or local agencies, laws, and regulations.
•Bilingual with at least three (3) years prior experience providing the service required by this position, including at least three years of experience working with and counseling children preferred.
•Strong desire to work within an innovative, urban educational program
• Strong interpersonal skills; personal organization skills.
• Knowledge of appropriate counseling procedures.
• Knowledge of applicable federal and state statutes dealing with privacy, care and protection abuse.
• Ability to diagnose emotional, personal, and social issues
• Ability to make referrals to appropriate staff members and other agencies and organizations.
• Highly effective writing, oral and interpersonal skills to communicate with a varied audience
• Computer skills including word processing, database, and spreadsheet are required.