Colonna's Shipyard is looking to obtain experienced candidates with ability to obtain a DBIDS within our Down River Division, Structural Department.
We are pleased to accept resumes for 1st Class Welders
This is a full-time position with competitive pay, based on experience, and immediate work within our headquarters in Norfolk, VA.
- Weld together metal components of products, as specified by layout, blueprints, diagram, work order, welding producers, or oral instructions, using electric arc-welding equipment
- Prepare all material surfaces to be welded, ensuring that there is no loose or think scale, slag, rust, moisture, grease, or other foreign matter
- Weld completion in flat, horizontal, vertical, or overhead positions
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment o fuse metal segments, using processes such as gas tungsten arc, gas metal arc, flux-cored arc, plasma arc, shielded metal arc, resistance welding, and submerged arc welding
- Manually apply filler rod to supply weld metal
- Clean or degrease weld joint or work piece, using wire brush, portable grinder, or chemical bath. May repair broken or cracked parts and fill holes
- Set up and operate welding equipment and select proper electrodes according to metals to be joined or as instructed
- Preform grinding and joint preparation for NDT processes
- Burning, washing, edge prepping using hand and automated equipment
- Flux cored inner shield and dual shield welding along with oxy-acetylene torching, air-arc, weld-wire gas, stick and pipe flange
- Construct or repair metal products by joining parts either manual (using a variety of welding methods including electric arc, MIG and TIG welding or oxy-acetylene welding) or by machine
- Read and understand the Chemist and Competent Persons reports and determine if job sites, particularly those involving combustible material, are safe for personnel and hot work
- Preforms grinding and joint preparation for NDT processes
- Mark or tag material with proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required
- Will be required to wear personal protective equipment hard hat, safety glasses, steel toe boots/shoes and, when necessary, respirator
- Other duties as assigned
- Understand and act upon instructions
- Work independently to complete responsibilities
- Must have regular, reliable attendance
- Ability to obtain a DBIDS
- Must be able to demonstrate ability to perform multi-pass, all position fillet and butt welds using SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding), GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding)< and FCAW (Flux Cored Arc Welding)
- Knowledge of welding techniques (oxygen-acetylene, electric arc, and TIG), tools and equipment
- Technical training preferred
- Knowledge of and ability to use hand tools and instruments associated with the trade
- Must be able to work effectively with others
- Comprehend blueprints, sketches, and templates
- Enter and move through manholes to reach and work in internally confined spaces
- Must be a steady, reliable worker
- Must be able to compared and follow simple instructions
Compensation & Benefits
Position compensation is based on experience.
Our benefits include: • Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance• 401K, company match• Paid Time Off (PTO)• Legal Services• Annual performance evaluations • On-site Human Resources• On-site gym• Free and close proximity parking• Employee perks/gifts and more
All resumes are reviewed immediately for consideration.
Colonna’s Shipyard and our affiliates are pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE / M / F / DISABILITY / VET
These are our VALUES and the guidelines that make us a leader in our industry. We are pleased and confident in stating that our skilled employees are among the most respected experts in the ship repair industry.