- Position Type:
Hourly/Infant/Toddler Head Teacher
- Date Posted:
Richard Elementary School
Grosse Pointe Public Schools
Responsible To: Preschool Director, Building Principal
Supervises: Assistant Teachers/Caregivers, volunteers, co-op students and children in the program.
- Greets children and their parents warmly and with enthusiasm each morning.
- Speaks with each family at pick-up to touch base about the child's day.
- Creates Homeroom app for families including pictures, highlight, announcements and closings.
- Monitors monthly snack sign up and ensure enough snack will be provided.
- Maintains an effective environment for learning and care through the use of age-appropriate activities including but not limited to small and large group, sensory, art, music, movement, math, science and literacy.
- Encourages children to express themselves creatively and carefully observes children's interest for lesson planning.
- Collaborates with parents and other staff to help the children control behavior by using a positive and consistent approach.
- Follows all rules and regulations established with the Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing of the Michigan Department of Human Services
- Understands and implements injury policies and parent notification as necessary.
- Informs Assistant Director of Preschool Services and parents of communicable illnesses in the classroom.
- Has working knowledge of appropriate development and the Child Observation Record (COR).
- Maintains a portfolio for each child, containing anecdotal notes in accordance with the COR.
- Conduct Parent-Teacher conferences in the Fall/Spring to review portfolio and developmental areas.
- Notifies Director of Preschool Services of any developmental concerns regarding a child and follows protocol for referrals.
- Maintains an all inclusive classroom.
- Supports and incorporates classroom diversity.
- Works with Preschool Directors to maintain accurate paperwork as required by the Bureau of Regulatory Services (DHS) including children and staff paperwork.
- Files completed paperwork including tracking sheets, snack schedules, lesson plans and emergency drill logs in appropriate location.
- Collects and turns in time sheets for classroom/site staff in a timely and confidential matter.
- Collaborates with parents and other staff to help the children control behavior by using a positive and consistent approach
- Complete 16 hours of professional development each calendar year through the attendance of workshops, meetings and conferences.
- Acts as a positive liaison for parents/guardians as they visit the school.
- Assists other staff with cleaning and sanitizing responsibilities
- Other responsibilities as requested
- Ability to stand and walk over 60% of the work day in order to supervise children throughout daily activities, walk throughout the school, participate in Gym and Playground activities.
- Must have the physical stamina to care for energetic young children.
- Required to lift (7 -50 pounds), bend, sit on the floor, run and engage in other physical activities.
- BA degree in Early Childhood Education preferred. Must meet minimum State Licensing Requirements.
- Comprehensive Background check, signed child abuse form and TB test on file at main office.
- Biannually CPR and First Aid Training
- Must be able to adequately carry out all above mentioned job responsibilities.
- Compatible with Director, Assistant Teacher and/or Caregivers.
- Punctual and in attendance daily.
- Must be at least 19 years old.
8:00 am - 12:00 pm M-F
Additional hours on occasion for training and conferences
Hourly rate based on qualifications and experience.
$13.89 - $15.69/hr
Application Procedure: Complete the on-line application and attach the required documents. Direct inquiries to Sara Meier, Preschool Director; MeierS@gpschools.org
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The successful candidate must meet the State standard for a clear criminal history and provide mandated fingerprint clearance.