FirstLine Schools: VICE PRINCIPAL, LOWER SCHOOL
Creating and inspiring great open admissions public schools in New Orleans
About FirstLine Schools
In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. In 2019-20, FirstLine will operate five PreK-8th grade schools, serving ~3,500 students. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development. We have approximately 450 employees.
FirstLine Schools is currently seeking Vice-Principal candidates that can lead and manage the learning, growth, and achievement of students at the elementary level (K-4) at a K-8 FirstLine School. The Lower School Vice-Principal will be responsible for ensuring the success of the school, as demonstrated by high academic achievement and a strong school culture by working with the School Director, School Leadership Team, and Network Leaders to provide strategic, cultural, instructional, and team leadership. Note that a candidate is a Vice-Principal until the following can be assessed: a demonstrated record of student achievement and cultural results over a FirstLine School. Results will be reviewed annually.
- Develops and communicates the school’s vision and goals
- Sets strategies to achieve goals
- Regularly reviews progress, and adapts as needed
- Ensures all faculty, students, and parents are aligned with the school’s vision and values
- Provides a calm and orderly environment for teaching and learning
- Nurtures a culture that is aspirational and motivational
- Ensures high achievement through a rigorous curriculum aligned to state and Common Core standards
- Systematically uses formative assessment data, continually improving instruction, and layers of learning support
- Ensures clarity of job design for all lower school staff
- Recruits and selects talented team members
- Provides high quality professional development
- Manages the performance of all teachers and staff and sets clear expectations
- Motivates and inspires action, commitment, and initiative while managing continual change and improvement
- Builds a culture of trust where productive conflict can thrive
- Delegates as appropriate to better achieve school goals and develop others
Education & Experience:
- Demonstrated record of success raising test scores in an open-admissions urban school
- At least five years experience as a teacher in an open-admissions urban school teaching elementary school
- At least two years of leadership in an open-admissions, urban school, with experience in developing instructional expertise
- Record of success in leading adults; experience with management and supervision
- Knowledgeable about Common Core Standards and aligned instruction
- Solid grounding and experience with primary curriculum and instruction (expertise in reading is preferred)
- Leadership experience with significant areas of responsibility, preferably in a high-performing urban public school
- Be proficient in using data in the decision-making process
- Preferred, but not required: MA, MBA or Med
Desired Qualities & Characteristics :
- Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Model the FirstLine values of Service, Learning, Collaboration and Results
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
LOWER SCHOOL Vice Principal reports to: School Director
How to Apply : Please apply online via: http://www.firstlineschools.org/careers
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.