JOB GOAL: Assess children referred for special education services; maintain records on eli1gible special education students according to state and federal laws; and, collaborate with teachers, parents, and other school personnel in order to plan and implement individual programs that promote student learning.
In accordance with the annual salary schedule approved by the Board of Trustees
Valid Texas Educational Diagnostician Certificate
Knowledge in the administration and interpretation of tests used to assess
intellectualdevelopment, academic achievement, and learning style.
Knowledge of federal and state rules governing students with disabilities
Knowledge of best practices in providing programming for students with disabilities
Ability to resolve conflicts
Bilingual Spanish/English Speaker preferred
MAJOR PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
1. Encourage and support the development, implementation, and maintenance of effective
and inclusive instruction programs to achieve identified needs of students with
2. Cooperate with school district staff in scheduling instructional classes, services, or
activities to enhance learning outcomes.
3. Assist in ensuring that support services for students with disabilities are effective in
achieving their objectives.
4. Support and follow local, state, and federal rules, procedures, and policies.
5. Communicate and interpret the philosophy of the district's special education program
effectively with parents, school personnel, and community.
6. Assist in the coordination of procedures for student appraisal and the admission, review,
and dismissal process.
7. Relate to staff, students, and parents, in ways that convey equality, mutual respect, and
8. Demonstrate skill in conflict resolution with administrators, parents, staff, teachers, staff,
and/or the community.
9. Provide assistance in special education programming for campus level personnel so that
overall performance is improved.
10.Work cooperatively with others in attaining district and special education program goals
11. Stay current regarding and facilitate the use of effective techniques and strategies in the
learning process for students with disabilities
12. Work cooperatively with campus, transportation, and central office personnel to insure
schools are in compliance with federal, state, and local regulations for special education.
13. Demonstrate sensitivity to the concerns and needs students and their parents.
14. Monitor student records to insure the ARD recommendations are being followed and
apprise campus administration and central office staff of needed changes
15. Collaborate in the decision making process at the campus level and central office level to
foster teaching/learning improvement
Professional Growth and Development:
16. Continue to develop skills appropriate to the job assignment
17. Use input provided to improve professional skills and knowledge through
formal and informal assessment data
18. Maintain a professional and ethical manner as outlined in the Standards of Conduct for the
19. Maintain mental and physical ability to perform job functions
20. Communicate and convey information with clarity regarding the district's programs.
21. Act as an effective liaison among staff, parents, and community
22. Involve parents and the community in district and special education program
improvement efforts as appropriate
Emotional control and patience
Concentration on required tasks
Flexibility in performing daily activities
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Frequent in-district travel
Sitting for long periods of time
Repetitive hand movements
Correctable visual acuity, auditory acuity, and speech
Adequate upper body strength
Adequate fine motor dexterity
Ability to navigate school buildings frequently and independently
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required.