Leander ISD is currently evaluating several potential models in light of the changing situation, and following guidance established by local, state and federal leaders.
Regardless of what decisions are reached in order to open our campuses and operations, we must ask that all applicants, new employees, and current staff be prepared for
possible variations in campus assignments, hours of operations, and modifications to job duties among other considerations.
Any of these possible changes may not be known until we move into the school year and certainly will depend upon any developments in managing COVID -19 restrictions and recommendations.The State Board for Educator Certification will require all first time applicants for an initial credential to be fingerprinted as part of a national criminal background check. A cost of up to $49.00 will be charged for fingerprinting.PRIMARY PURPOSE:
To provide students with appropriate learning activities, linguistic supports and experiences in the assigned subject area to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, linguistic and social growth. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to be successful.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of LISD’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for differentiation.
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies for ELs. Includes activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles, interests and needs of students assigned.
- Conduct assessment of student progress and use results to plan instructional activities.
- Work cooperatively with special education teachers to modify curriculum as needed for special education students according to guidelines established in Individual Education Plans (IEP).
- Work with other members of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to LISD requirements.
- ESL/ELA teacher will conduct and coordinate LPACs as required/needed throughout the year
- Provide and seek the assistance of LISD specialists as recommended to plan for instruction.
- ESL/ELA teacher is responsible for all required LPAC paperwork
- Help students analyze and improve study methods and habits.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Provide and seek assistance for students who are consistently performing below grade level.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by the campus principal.
- Be a positive role model for students, support mission of LISD.
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, linguistic and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Communicate student strengths and challenges to parents according to campus/district guidelines.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required according to campus/district deadlines established.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
- Demonstrate regular and prompt attendance to ensure a consistent focus on student learning.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION GUIDELINESEducation/Certification/Experience:
- Supervise assigned teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s), student teacher(s), intern(s), beginning teacher(s) as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field.
- Valid Texas teaching certificate with ESL endorsement appropriate to subject and grade level assigned.
- For teachers providing English Language Arts Reading instruction as the teacher of record, ESL certification is required.
- Experience in student teaching, internship, fieldwork, observation and all other placements required by universities or state approved programs for certification.
Mental/Physical/Environmental DemandsThe essential functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the characteristic duties, responsibilities, knowledge, skills, and abilities noted herein; however, this is not a comprehensive listing of all functions and tasks performed by positions found in this job description.
- Knowledge of second language acquisition skills, assigned subject area; curriculum and instruction strategies; relevant technology; and state, LISD, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
- Skill in communication, organization, problem-solving, critical thinking and flexibility.
- Ability to present information accurately and clearly; manage multiple priorities and projects; and instruct students and manage their behavior.
- May be exposed to outdoor weather conditions during portions of work day.
- Needs to move about inside the classroom or campus to monitor students as necessary.
- Maintain composure and professionalism at all times.
- Frequent standing, stooping, bending, pulling and pushing.
- Frequent moving of small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom equipment.
- Occasional requires lifting up to 25 pounds.
- Occasional prolonged and irregular hours.
- Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules of others on short-term basis.
- Ability to make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit.
Equal Opportunity Employer