The Blending Department Machine Operator is responsible for taking materials staged by the Pre-weigh personnel and adding them to the mixing blender to manufacture Saratoga’s finished blends. The Machine Operator must follow documented cleaning and mixing directions to blend the product to specification. The position requires the ability to calculate and reconcile raw materials on batch cards for blending formulas. Additionally, this position requires HACCP Monitored Training to ensure full compliance to our food safety programs.
- Responsible for safe operation of blending production equipment, and for the accurate mix of ingredients to deliver a product that meets the customers’ expectations. Follows Safety and Quality Assurance rules and procedures.
- The employee must ensure all production, quality and safety standards are followed at all times.
- Follows Batch Card recipe and instructions for each blend
- Ensures ingredient lot number is visible on batch cards
- Follow allergen control procedures
- Fills blender with raw materials according to specifications
- Visually inspects materials to ensure no foreign materials or abnormalities exist
- Starts machine to blend formula according to instructions
- Operates and checks screen inside the Quadro, the magnets beneath the Quadro, the screens on the blender
- Empties product into super sacks
- Labels product correctly
- Validates the proper cleaning of the blender and equipment
- Follow GMPs
- Other duties as assigned
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- High School or an equivalent combination of education preferred, a combination of education and experience may be considered in lieu of High School or equivalent Diploma
- Knowledge and experience in Food Industry is a plus but not necessary
- Ability to use a calculator to perform basic math equations for precision measurements
- Ability to work with others and as a team
- Ability to work from written and/or verbal instructions
- Ability to learn while training with an experienced Blender Operator
- Ability to follow GMPs and other Food Safety and Quality requirements
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 50 lbs safely
- Must be able to frequently climb stairs
- Ability to bend, stoop, push, pull, grasp, reach, twist frequently during the shift
- Ability to walk frequently within department, and ability to stand during the entire production shift
- Ability to use a utility knife safely that will be provided by the company
- Must have visual acuity to perceive difference in color, and to operate machinery
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed indoors in a mixing production facility and exposed to the smell and dust of different raw spices as these are being blended into commercial formulas.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.
Careers and Benefits
To learn more about Smithfield’s benefits, visit smithfieldfoods.com/careerbenefits