- Position Description
This position is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 62
Designs, plans and implements the installation, configuration and on-going maintenance of the server farm infrastructure within the centralized Information Technology department. Manages the overall day-to-day operations of the computing center.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's need and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Develops procedures required to maintain and support on-going computing needs and ensures documentation is accurately maintained;
Creates and maintains capacity plans and disaster recovery plans for the server farm;
Assists in establishing and justifying operating and capital budgets.
Operational and Client Management
Provides cost and time estimates for new requirements;
Responsible for the day-to-day operations of the computing center;
Ensures smooth transition of new systems into production status through final approval of production control process (PCP) documentation;
Ensures associated system components and associated jobs are properly scheduled and operational per PCP requirements;
Ensures the proper tools and procedures are implemented and utilized;
Ensures proper backups and storage management procedures are implemented and adhered to meeting business and disaster recovery needs;
Ensures proper escalation procedures are implemented, maintained and utilized;
Coordinates, develops and implements system administration policies, procedures, guidelines and standards;
Ensures appropriate service level objectives (SLO) are defined as required by the server-based applications;
Designs SLO measurement criteria to extract performance data to enable SLO reporting;
Ensures server SLOs are achieved;
Forecasts server growth and provides pro-active capacity management;
Performs active deployment of server virus cleansing applications to maintain a virus free environment.
Computing Engineering & Maintenance
Coordinates and manages the engineering and delivery of virtual server implementation, support, migration, and upgrade services to the business computing and storage management environment, to include:
- Installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of server/data storage environment and associated documentation;
- Configuration management, operational management, software release and patch testing, monitoring and resolution of all related problems;
Coordinates and executes the implementation of vendor supplied upgrades and patches;
Coordinates, sets-up and performs on-going maintenance of all disaster recovery and capacity planning requirements;
Coordinates and performs on-going maintenance to meet compliance requirements including records retention requirements.
Functions as the project leader/manager on medium to large project efforts to ensure all capabilities required are provided for;
Plans, coordinates, and implements the ITD computing center business plan;
Manages specific projects required to deliver critical computing center capabilities to meet application and internal technical infrastructure needs;
Participates on various group technical infrastructure teams to drive standardization and strategic implementations;
Coordinates and interfaces with vendors for on-going life cycle maintenance and support activities.
May supervise and evaluate performance of assigned staff.
Analyzes, evaluates and coordinates resolution and implementation of specific critical computing center components within the IT support environment;
Leads development of critical computing center and/or IT support components to enhance service delivery and support to customer base;
Leads, plans, coordinates, and implements key components of the ITD computing center business plan.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- enterprise backup and redundancy environments;
- IT Information Library for the Incident, Problem and Configuration Management environment;
- virtualized Server environments and related web services (e.g., IIS), email (e.g., Exchange), related security technologies and alternative marketplace solutions utilized for departmental and enterprise solutions;
- directory services and policy management environments;
- industry security standards, procedures and technologies;
- operational roles and responsibilities in configuring, deploying and maintaining a virtualizedenterprise computing platform operating relational database application environments;
- principles and techniques of effective supervision;
- project management concepts (e.g., resource planning/scheduling, Gantt charts, critical path analysis).
- provisioning servers and storage within a virtualized and storage network environment;
- configuring, deploying and maintaining an Automated (tapeless) back-up;
- organizing workload, being proactive and managing a wide variety of requests simultaneously;
- written, verbal and interpersonal communications;
- leading the development of procedures and work instructions;
- leading individual employees and work teams;
- working as a member of a team;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- configuring, deploying, optimizing, maintainingand upgrading avirtualized enterprise computing and storage environment;
- coordinating and communicating with internal and external customers/vendors;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation;
- using standard directory and networking protocols (e.g., WINS, DNS and TCP/IP).
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and four years of work experience in the maintenance and administration of client computing hardware and software infrastructure and two years of experience in the maintenance & administration of a virtualized computing and storage environment. (Note: the experience identified may be obtained concurrently.)
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS) or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and six years of work experience in the maintenance and administration of a client computing hardware and software infrastructure, and two years of experience in the maintenance & administration of a virtualized computing and storage environment. (Note: the experience identified may be obtained concurrently.)
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- A minimum of four (4) years relevant infrastructure experience in the areas of vulnerability assessments; penetration testing; security information and event management administration; intrusion detection/intrusion prevention management; DNS/Active Directory administration; data loss prevention; antivirus/anti malware administration; email/web filtering appliance administration.
- CompTIA Security+ Certification.
- EC-Council Certified Ethical Hacker.
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (Security).
- EC-Council Certified Forensics Investigator.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe (e.g., MCSA, MCSE). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Risk Management's review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
Special Notice Items: Some positions may require the mandatory use of a headset while on duty. Department of Labor regulation CFR Part 1910.1030 requires notification that some positions in this category may have a moderate risk of exposure to blood-borne pathogens. Hepatitis B vaccine will be provided. Some positions will be required to work rotating shifts which includes days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. Some positions may require satisfactory completion of a personal background investigation, polygraph examination and/or pre/post-appointment drug-testing by law enforcement agencies due to need for access to law enforcement, corrections or court facilities, property and associated confidential and sensitive information, documents, communications and data base systems.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: All positions require the ability to identify industry standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on towers, elevated or below grade platforms. Additional physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.
Overall Job Objective