ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF MAGIC AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Open Heart Magic: Not Your Typical Non-Profit Children’s Charity.
- Do you enjoy performing strong, interactive close-up magic as a pro or even a dedicated hobbyist?
- Are you a student of the art, who picks up magic quickly, and understands what makes magic engaging and astonishing?
- Are you able to plan, schedule and implement projects on your own and on a team?
- Do you have client service experience that will enable you to provide quick responses to important, wonderful internal and external clients?
- Would you like to be part of building something special - something exciting that's growing nationally - by helping a world-class charity touch the lives of more and more sick kids in hospitals?
Read on magi. We want you to use your power for good.
Open Heart Magic (OHM) began in 2004 with the mission of bringing the transformative power of magic to kids facing the toughest medical situations in children’s hospitals.
Our volunteer Hospital Magicians go into pediatric intensive care, oncology departments, burn units and even isolation rooms to reach kids who are in the fight of their lives. Our volunteers change the hospital experience by performing and teaching magic to kids at their hospital bedsides. Kids who feel scared, sad or "shut down" emotionally start to smile, laugh and re-engage. As they perform magic for their families and hospital staff, kids go from feeling helpless to feeling empowered. They regain the hope and strength they need to keep fighting their illness.
The magic itself is very strong. It has to be to transform kids in difficult situations.
The magic used by Open Heart Magic is comprised of engaging, close-up sleight of hand, interactive framing and exciting stories. You’ll quickly recognize that many of the themes, sleights and routines are based on traditional close-up and historical parlor magic pieces that have been changed and innovated to maximize the interaction, participation and engagement as well as the surprise. It’s this combination that allows our Hospital Magicians to transform patients ages 4 to 18 back into laughing kids and teens again. We’ve developed an interaction so powerful that parents regularly comment that our magicians have helped their child smile or laugh for the first time since being in the hospital. This interaction is the basis of our Bedside Magic™ Program.
Today, our Bedside Magic Programs are staffed by a strong, well trained volunteer community of over 170 children’s Hospital Magicians who meet a high standard of performance and commitment. These volunteers are some of the best people you’ll ever meet. Interesting, fun with great wit and an undeniable passion for performing magic, helping kids, and growing Open Heart Magic to reach even more kids. Our volunteers currently work one-to-one with 13,000 children each year at fourteen children’s hospitals in Chicago, Ann Arbor and Cleveland, including Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital, University of Michigan C.S. Mott Children’s Hospital and the Cleveland Clinic.
HERE'S WHERE YOU COME IN
Our strong foundation of close-up magic and continually expanding knowledge base of new magic is developed by our Founder, our Director of Program Development and our very talented volunteer Magic University trainers and Ministry of Magic members.
We're looking for an Assistant Director of Magic who can work within this team to help drive the development of new magic routines and activities to inspire our community and build volunteers’ repertoires. We need someone who can teach our proven methods of magic, interaction, and its therapeutic use through our 12-week, in-person Magic University trainings and webinar broadcasts.
While being able to deliver strong magic is a critical piece of our successful Bedside Magic™ program, it’s only one piece of what is required to transform kids struggling with disease and fear into laughing kids again. The Assistant Director must also be able to learn and apply what it takes to be successful within a hospital and maintain OHM’s unique ability to be successful within this clinical environment. This includes understanding very specific language, processes and protocol and requiring a very high attention to detail. In this role, you will need to utilize existing training approaches to ensure that every volunteer magician understands and can apply this protocol to protect kids in every delicate situation.
Other key responsibilities of this role
In this crucial role, you will be one of the key faces of OHM to our volunteer community, now spanning three states. So we're looking for someone who's engaging, kind and relatable. We believe in getting others to serve by serving. Your number one priority? Inspire our amazing volunteers.
Our volunteer community is the engine that keeps OHM going. These amazing people are more than clients. These are our purveyors of volunteer service and benefit from quick responses, ongoing support, and strong relationships. Strengthening the volunteer experience is critical to our continued growth and success. As we look to future expansion, we must work to keep Open Heart Magic the best place to volunteer.
Your ability to build relationships through responsive client service is as important as your magic skills.
You will be the day-to-day contact with hospital staff, supported by long-standing relationships with our Director and Founder. This means there are times when you'll be addressing situations that need immediate responses. Having a strong client service background will help you improve these critical relationships with key stakeholders that are so necessary for this organization to continue to thrive and grow, as we have, each year.
Planning new trainings and our national conference with the team requires that you have the ability to come up with new ideas, turn them into a project with deadlines, and and then drive that project to completion.
You need to be flexible to also support our fund-raising and operations projects which require a team approach with our entire staff. There may be special projects to work on as well.
- Existing skills in close-up magic. Able to learn magic quickly and develop new magic using Open Heart Magic's unique therapeutic approach for hospitals. Able to perform confidently and comfortably in front of volunteers. Able to develop new routines that can be mastered by volunteers during in-person and webinar trainings.
- Must complete 12-week Magic University training and become an active Hospital Magician volunteer. This is the only way to fully understand our Bedside Magic program. (We promise, it's a wonderful, life-changing experience!)
- Willing to work some evenings (when most volunteers are available) and occasional weekends (i.e. for our National Hospital Magicians Conference and fund-raising events like the Chicago Marathon expo).
- Willing to travel to Ann Arbor and Cleveland to engage, support and train volunteer community in those cities.
- Self-directed to manage multiple projects with tight deadlines, and excellent at taking direction and responding to feedback.
- Proven skills in managing events and activities for large groups of people.
- Able to plan and implement a calendar of social and training activities. This engagement schedule helps enable volunteers to connect with each other and feel part of something special and bigger than themselves.
- Excited to employ new ideas to help kids laugh, be astonished and have their hope renewed in the face of their medical challenges. Excited by the idea of having fun with over 170 amazing Hospital Magicians who are truly awesome people who love what they do.
Additional Job Requirements
- Lift 50 lb. boxes. (reaching 13,000 kids means sharing a lot of magic supplies)
- Background check required due to the sensitive nature of working with kids in hospitals.
- Signing of confidentiality and non-compete agreements is required due to the specialized nature of our approach.
Compensation & Benefits
- Compensation: $47,000 to $52,000 depending on years of relevant experience and skills
- Full-time position, with flexible work days
- Use of Mac laptop provided
- Use of iPhone provided after 6 months
- Excellent health coverage, plus 401K with time off for sick days, vacation, holidays
- Future compensation based on performance and OHM growth
Ready to Make Some Magic?
TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION:
Please submit your resume as a PDF and provide a writing sample by answering the following questions. There is no need to attach a separate cover letter. You can drop this information into the body of your email to make it easy.
- While this role requires the outgoing nature of a magician, you must also be very detail oriented due to the clinical protocol required to do magic safely within a hospital. Please share why you would excel at engaging and inspiring our unique volunteer community while also ensuring that volunteers follow strict guidelines.
- Magic can offend and belittle. Magic can empower and inspire. Please explain what you feel specifically makes this difference in terms of performance and magic design. Please also share how you studied magic and what specific magic you like to perform.
- This role will be a critical point-person to our volunteers and our hospital partners requiring quick, responsive client service, proactive thinking and a dedication to the importance of both audiences. What about your experience makes you the best fit for this aspect of the role?
- Add anything else you think would be helpful for us to know.
Please email your response to AsstDirMagic@openheartmagic.org.
Best of luck. If you don’t hear back from us within two to three months, another candidate was selected. If this ad is still live, then we’re still looking. We know it stinks not hearing back, but we hate sending canned emails. We think you’re already a winner for wanting to work for a non-profit that helps kids. Thanks for applying.