Closing Date: July 25, 2018
Excelsior College, a regionally accredited, virtual, private, nonprofit institution of higher learning is seeking dynamic applicants for the position of Academic Advisor (Business), in the Student Success Center. The Student Success Center serves adult learners by providing degree planning and academic advising services!
The Academic Advisor at Excelsior College is a member of a nationally recognized advising team focused on excellent service to a diverse population of learners at a distance. The Academic Advisor builds supportive relationships with students and promotes successful credit activity, retention, and degree completion.
With expertise in curricular requirements, academic policies, Excelsior College offerings, external sources of credit, student learning resources, and success coaching techniques, the Academic Advisor guides students in selecting appropriate degree programs and credit offerings. The Academic Advisor works intensively with new and at-risk students to promote their success. He or she also serves students at all points in the enrollment experience, to guide them in establishing short- and long-term goals, and to provide ongoing support. The Academic Advisor collaborates with other advisors, credit evaluators, financial aid counselors, career counselors, faculty, and front-line staff to form an interdisciplinary student success team.
The position requires a commitment to superior student service by mastering a large body of detailed, factual information, applying College-approved coaching and advising strategies, and collaborating with students in a caring, efficient, and consistent manner. Night and weekend hours are occasionally required for this position. This position reports to a Director of Academic Advisement in the Student Success Center.
This is a full-time position with benefits based in 7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY 12203
- Provide academic advisement to a large caseload of students at a distance via multiple modes of communication.
- Use a relational, personalized approach to guiding students in developing educational plans that meet their academic and career goals.
- Use critical thinking, predictive analytics, and College-approved coaching methodologies to analyze students’ records, track their progress, and conduct outreach to promote student success and retention.
- Educate students about appropriate credit options (e.g., online courses, credit by examination, face-to-face courses, portfolio assessment). Vet and approve proposed credit for applicability toward degree requirements.
- Provide information on College services and resources (e.g., Center for Educational Measurement, Course Registration, Center for Military and Veteran Education, online tutoring, Excelsior College Library, Career Services) and outside support services (e.g., international credential evaluation service).
- Keep abreast of institutional information including: admission requirements, new programs and courses, policies, dates and deadlines, costs, College-wide initiatives, governmental mandates, etc.
- Maximize the use of software and information technology (e.g., Salesforce, Unit 4 Student Management System, policy databases, Microsoft Outlook, Qlikview, Excelsior College web site, etc.).
- Use professional judgment in working independently and interacting effectively with team members and other college staff to ensure high quality student service.
- Actively participate in professional development by serving on unit and College-wide committees, participating in training activities, submitting conference proposals and papers, assisting with the training of new staff, and maintaining competency in the use of technology.
- Actively participate in the Student Success Center’s ongoing Academic Advisor quality development program.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree is required. Previous experience in higher education and student service are preferred.
- Outstanding analytical, organizational, and problem solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to use strong interpersonal and decision-making skills to assess students’ needs and advocate for them as appropriate.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, to manage multiple priorities, and to meet firm deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations, preferably non-traditional, adult students.
- Ability to master an ever-growing body of factual knowledge with a high degree of accuracy and detail.
- Exceptional technology literacy and willingness to learn new applications.