Minimum Education Level: High School
• Under general supervision, performs accounting support and administrative work in the preparation, processing, maintenance, and verification of accounting documents and records in the areas of accounts payable and payroll.
Essential Functions (regardless of primary responsibility):
• Creates and/or generates related reports.
• Researches discrepancies and works with appropriate staff to resolve issues.
• Applies all rules, policies, laws, and regulations applicable to job functions.
• Cross-trains to learn and carry out other accounting technician responsibilities and provides back-up support to other accounting technicians.
• Performs other duties as may be required or assigned.
Specific Duties for Accounts Payable:
• Screens and verifies accounts payable documents for accuracy; processes documents for payment; enters data into accounting system.
• Maintains vendor files and processes invoices for all fuel vendors.
• Prepares monthly fuel tax reports.
• Maintains accounts payable files and investigates problems and irregularities.
• Verifies account payable codes to ensure appropriate account designation.
• May serve as backup to carry out payroll responsibilities.
Specific Duties for Payroll:
• Verifies time sheets; enters hour and earnings for employees and balances time sheets to batch totals entered in the system.
• Transmits payroll to Ceridian and receives it back.
• Speaks with Ceridian representative as needed.
• Works, as directed by supervisor, with all other departments and employees with routine payroll issues. Reviews and verifies payroll tax reports.
• Maintains uniform allowance logs and reconciles related balances for bargaining unit and non-bargaining unit employees.
• Assists Supervisor of Payroll and Accounts Payable with researching records, analyzing payroll transactions and processing non-routine and year-end payroll changes.
• May serve as backup to carry out accounts payable responsibilities.
• High School Diploma or General Education Diploma (G.E.D.); plus
• Vocational/technical school training in general accounting or bookkeeping; plus
• Three years of work experience involving general accounting, bookkeeping, accounts payable, and computer operations, or a combination of related education, experience and training.
• Associate’s degree with course work emphasis in Accounting from a nationally or regionally accredited institution; supplemented by one year of previous work experience involving general accounting, bookkeeping, accounts payable, and personal computer operations.
• Experience working in a government entity or industry in a computerized environment.
• Experience with Ceridian, Crystal and/or Great Plains Dynamics.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs):
• Knowledge of principles and practices of basic accounting and recordkeeping.
• Knowledge of accounting processes and procedures.
• Working knowledge of automated accounting systems.
• Knowledge of rules, policies, laws, and regulations applicable to job functions.
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations using a calculator and/or 10-key pad or adding machine.
• Ability to recognize priorities, plan, and organize work to meet deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to review, analyze, and interpret accounting data and prepare accurate accounting documents.
• Ability to understand, explain, and apply rules, policies, laws and regulations applicable to job functions.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with those encountered in the course of work using principles of excellent customer service.
• Ability to exhibit a professional, courteous demeanor and handle confidential information with discretion.
• Ability to work in a d.