Position: Application Administrator
Reports To: Director of ITS Services
Salary: Determined by qualifications
The Application Administrator acts as an administrator for HRT’s enterprise software systems and plays an important role in technical software support and implementations. This person has responsibility for working with Application Services and IT staff to ensure enterprise applications operate in a manner that enables HRT staff to meet organizational goals for increased ridership and improved operational efficiency. This person must take a broad, cross-departmental view of the organization, understand transit, organizational and departmental policies, processes and procedures to leverage system capabilities and promote effective use of the enterprise applications to meet organization goals and needs.
- Serve as contact/liaison for functional users, the systems vendor(s), Application Services, and IT technical staff.
- Provide application-level expertise, bridging the gap between the user and Application Services staff.
- Work with Application Services staff in the technical support of multiple enterprise applications and Oracle databases.
- Work to identify and develop “power users” within each department who can respond to routine functional and training issues.
- Troubleshoot systems issues:
- Receive problem report from user(s).
- Work with the users to understand, resolve the problem and ensure proper follow-up.
- Refer the problem to the helpdesk and/or the vendor, as needed.
- Keep good documentation of all issues, pending and resolved.
- Provide recommendations to department managers and Application Services staff on departmental needs for additional training, report customizations, system enhancements, upgrades, etc.
- Have the ability to handle system security and user role profile management
- Promote standardization across divisions in utilizing enterprise application systems.
- Have a detailed understanding of database technology and participate in systems conceptual design and planning activities.
- Assist with implementation activities such as:
- Project meetings
- Review and approval of deliverable documents (detailed design specifications, test plans, schedule updates, etc.)
- System testing
- User training
- System acceptance
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of public transportation definitions and terminology by utilizing various resources to include APTA, TCRP, FTA, and NTD
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT’s EMS
- Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT’s Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
- Strong analytical skills and excellent computer skills required
- Strong organization, verbal & written communication skills, diplomacy and problem solving skills are essential
- Working knowledge of database architecture, terminology, processes and an understanding of database-based application system concepts
- An understanding of transit scheduling concepts and operations dispatch functions is strongly desired
- Direct experience administering transit-specific applications such as HASTUS and TransitMaster is strongly desired
- Experience using GIS/mapping programs such as ESRI ArcView and MapInfo and geospatial analysis functions desired
- Knowledge and use of SQL (Oracle)
- Experience using Crystal Reports, MS Excel and other report generation tools is desired
- Ability to work independently and use good judgment in decisions affecting application administration
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions: