Corning is one of the world’s leading innovators in materials science. For more than 160 years, Corning has applied its unparalleled expertise in specialty glass, ceramics, and optical physics to develop products that have created new industries and transformed people’s lives.
Corning succeeds through sustained investment in R&D, a unique combination of material and process innovation, and close collaboration with customers to solve tough technology challenges.
The Specialty Materials segment manufactures products that provide more than 150 material formulations for glass, glass ceramics and fluoride crystals to meet demand for unique customer needs. Consequently, this segment operates in a wide variety of commercial and industrial markets that include display optics and components, semiconductor optics components, aerospace and defense, astronomy, ophthalmic products, telecommunications components, and cover glass that is optimized for portable display devices.
Purpose of the position:
- Manage and lead a diverse team of two dozen Application Engineers (direct and indirect supervision), to execute technical support for the Gorilla Glass business and its customers.
- Effectively supervise three local managers as supervisors and working Applications Engineers.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Manage and lead the Gorilla Glass Worldwide Applications Engineering team.
- Equip, empower, and train this team to effectively execute Applications Engineering duties and meet objectives, deliverables, and expectations of internal and external customers. (See Appendix 1 – Gorilla® Glass Applications Engineer Job Description).
- Direct three local team leaders as supervisors and managers for their regional teams. Mentor them as developing Corning leaders. Set example to them for Corning leader behaviors.
- Maintain, allocate and assign resources of the WWAE team to serve Gorilla Glass customers and business most effectively.
- Operate and maintain WWAE business processes (RMA, customer feedback and issue resolution, specification development, deployment, and maintenance, etc.). Apply continuous improvement to these processes.
- Represent the WWAE team to the Gorilla Glass business leadership and other functional departments.
- Understand Gorilla Glass products and technology to provide mentorship and support to the WWAE team.
- Be responsible for the effective operations of the WWAE team. Meet corporate deliverables (IPF/PIP, PD&R, expense reporting, travel approvals, compliance training, etc.). Meet S&A budget spending targets (travel, personnel, experiment, and sample spending, etc.).
Project involved with:
- New Projects/product deployment in both Brands and Finishers
- Gorilla Glass Parts business, including leading AE initiatives, specification continuous improvement and Product Line support.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, physics, or chemistry (advanced degree is an advantage).
- 10 years working experience in technology business (LCD/Touch Panel/Cover Glass/Mobile Phone business experience is an advantage)
- 10 years global company and 5 years supervisor experience (2nd level supervision is an advantage)
- 5 years regular external interaction (customer engagement is an advantage) including regular visits to customer facilities.
- Effective leadership, management and organizational skills befitting the leader of a two-dozen person department.
- Problem solving skill and analytical skills
- Understanding of Corning culture – effective supervision and management behaviors and expectations. Strong alignment with Corning Values and Code of Conduct.
- Good communication skills (written and speaking) in at least English. Good presentation skills.
- Strong presence with department team members and at customers. Poise in customer environment. Desired Skills
- Works effectively in a diverse, cross-cultural environment. Can effectively lead a cross-cultural team.
- Dare to face challenge
- Self-motivated, particularly under pressure. Works effectively in a self-directed manner with limited supervision. Can identify problems, assemble, and implement a solution plan with limited over-sight and direction.
- Hard worker, able to apply oneself to get the job done.
- Assemble and lead cross-functional internal teams.
- Process oriented.
- Patient, able to persevere through adversity.
- Poise and confidence to effectively lead the team and work in difficult environments and situations.
- Able to set work practice and behavior examples to immediate subordinates as well as the entire team. Able to be a “Corning Manager”, to represent and advocate for the company with subordinates.
- Comfortably work with various work functions (technology, commercial, marketing, etc.,) with personnel of various seniorities.
Travel Requirements: 30% both domestic and international
Other: Location for position will initially be based in Corning NY with option to move position to Asia.
This position supports immigration sponsorship.
We prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, or veteran status or any other legally protected status.