The Designer / Drafter Level 2 has a comprehensive experience and knowledge of building construction, materials and methods and routinely works directly with an Architect to act in a lead capacity in the generation, preparation and coordination of construction documents. On limited scope projects, this position may include the duties and responsibilities as assigned to a Project Manager. The Designer / Drafter Level 2 must understand the project objectives and based on knowledge and experience, coordinate the timely preparation of high quality deliverables. The Designer / Drafter Level 2 works with limited direction, control and supervision of a licensed Architect to perform the below essential functions, tasks, and duties in preparation of designs and construction documents.
Essential Functions of the Position
- Capable of adhering to existing CAD standards and utilizing them properly.
- Highly skilled and proficient in the operation of AutoCAD, Revit, Microsoft Word, Excel.
- Proficiency in the operation of SketchUp, Adobe Design Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign), Lumion, and/or other rendering software is a plus.
- Working knowledge of the materials, assemblies and methods related to all aspects of building construction.
- Working knowledge of the inter-relation of construction drawings and specifications and assembly of each following industry and office standards to provide a complete coordinated set of documents.
- Familiar with applicable laws, regulations, codes, and policies governing life safety, ADA and building construction.
- Able to work effectively both independently and as a part of a larger team on multiple, multi-discipline projects.
- Able to manage the pressures associated with fast-paced environments, critical design tolerances and tight schedules.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in collection of as-built information of existing construction that is required for preparation of accurate as-built drawings for use in design development and production of construction documents.
- Able to adapt his/her schedule to meet needs as they arise (i.e. able to come in early to prepare for a meeting or stay late to respond to a client's last-minute request).
- Accepts and adheres to company policies and procedures regarding safety and quality.
- May provide technical assistance and guidance on work methods and procedures to less experienced Designers engaged in related work.
- May review the work of less experienced Designers involved in the preparation of preliminary and final plans and documents.
- May be assigned the task of document manager in overseeing the preparation of construction documents.
- May work as liaison between Client and Project Manager/Architect in coordinating detail requirements in preparation of construction documents.
- Associates Degree or higher in CAD/Drafting or equivalent preferred.
- 2-5 years' experience in the operation of AutoCAD and Revit software and the preparation of architectural design and construction drawings.
- Capable of producing all architectural construction drawing, and coordinating with consultants to assemble a complete biddable/buildable drawing package.
- Capable of adhering to existing CAD/quality standards and utilizing them properly.
- The ability to express ideas clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Must be comfortable in a support role and possess the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to multi-task and produce accurate work.
- Must be willing to be tested on AutoCAD and Revit skills at the time of the interview.
- Must be willing to work flexible schedules and overtime as needed by the department.
- Must be able to operate a computer and sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to collect field data in existing buildings in varying conditions of disrepair and inspect construction in varying states of completion.
Watermark Design is a full-service architecture, planning, landscape architecture, and interior design firm. Our expertise is visible in landmarks across the Gulf Coast. You can see it in a variety of projects like museums, restaurants, and industrial facilities.
Our team is passionate about all facets of our business. So how can we help you? Do you need master planning to phase in long-range goals? Are you remodeling or adding to an existing facility? Perhaps you want to preserve a historic structure or build a new one. Watermark delivers results that are thoughtful, thorough, and imaginative, regardless of the type of project.
Watermark Design is headquartered in the port city of Mobile, Alabama. We are an independently operated subsidiary of Thompson Holdings, Inc. Our affiliated companies are Thompson Engineering and Thompson Consulting Services. Together, we provide clients seamless architecture, engineering, and disaster recovery services.