PRIMARY EMPLOYMENT OBJECTIVES
Starts in Newport , VT - not to exceed 12 months - then going to Portsmouth, NH
The Armor Project Engineer is responsible for detailed design of ballistic helmets and other composite components for soldier protection as well as the detailed design of tooling, equipment and process characteristics for helmet, mandible and applique manufacturing. The candidate will liaise with the Armor BU product team, Industrial Design, Sales/Business Development, Supply Chain Management and Revision manufacturing operations in order to design advanced ballistic personal protective gear for troops worldwide. The candidate will be responsible to coordinate Designs of Experiments (DOE’s), conduct testing and provide detailed reports. The candidate will liaise with the R&D,product team, Industrial Design, Sales/Business Development, Supply Chain Management and Revision manufacturing operations in order to design advanced ballistic personal protective gear for troops worldwide.
SPECIFIC ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
This is a hands-on position to work closely with R&D other ballistic engineers on Armor development projects with the following primary responsibilities:
- Primary responsibility to conduct DOE’s for ballistic recipe design, collect data, analyze and report.
- Use software tools to conduct statistical analysis of performance and create performance/cost/weight comparisons.
- Gain understanding of fiber performance normalized against specific threats.
- Participate in cross-functional teams responsible for bringing new products and continuing products improvements.
- Interface with engineering and industrial design (internal and external) resources providing information, direction and prioritization of required features.
- Sourcing activities for new material and part acquisition.
- Develop prototypes with the Design team and the Operations group as a resource to support new product direction.
- Work with the Operations team to ensure that the needs of the customer are met while allowing for established manufacturing processes.
- Work closely with the Armor product development team to ensure alignment with product development and product pipeline goals.
- Ensure clean hand-off to the plant process engineers to ensure that the shell or other ballistic component developed is ready for production to include process controls, layup techniques, information for BOMs, plybooks, and Syteline cost set-up.
- Creation, review, and approval of drawings and other technical documentation.
- Recommend future improvements for improved processing techniques, processes, or equipment, and lead the technological effort for said improvements when deemed a program of record.
- Utilize Engineering background to suggest process or material changes that could yield lower production costs and or higher quality.
- Training and transfer of knowledge related to various manufacturing operations, techniques, and processes.
- Coordinate product testing with the Revision Testing Services, as well as external testing services.P
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering required at minimum but preferred education in materials science, specifically composite materials and a good knowledge base of UHMWPE materials a plus.
- Knowledge of ballistic materials and testing protocols as well as the requirements of helmet forming with advanced composite materials a bonus or alternatively knowledge or understanding of weapons/munitions terminal effects.
- Excellent new product development skills in consumer or military hard goods areas.
- Working knowledge and understanding of statistical analysis software such as Minitab or similar.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Multi-tasking, self-starter with strong execution and hands-on skills.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Occassional travel between Montreal, QC and Newport, VT offices required.
- Opportunity for some overseas and Canadian travel as needed with passport eligibility.
- Proficient in computer skills Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, & Outlook) required and high proficiency in the use of Excel.
- Proficient in use of AutoCAD or Solidworks and ability to create complex shapes/patterns in AutoCAD or SW required.
Knowledge, Skill & Experience Requirements:
Action oriented, planning, process management, functional or technical skills, organizing, problem solving.
- Mix of office environment and manufacturing floor
- Frequent travel in North America required. with occasional international trave.