Hayward Pool Products, a division of Hayward Industries, Inc. is the largest manufacturer of residential swimming pool equipment in the world, with a significant presence in the commercial pool market that is continuously growing. Headquartered in Elizabeth, New Jersey, Hayward designs, manufactures and markets a full line of residential and commercial pool and spa equipment including pumps, filters, heating, cleaners, salt chlorinators, automation, lighting, safety, flow control and energy solutions. For over 80-years, Hayward has been enhancing pool ownership by manufacturing cutting edge, advanced pool and spa equipment. Hayward listens to our customers’ needs and makes sure they are implemented during the design and manufacturing process. The goal is to become the preferred brand of choice with every residential and commercial swimming pool and spa.
Manages and coordinates activities of employees engaged in assembling parts and assemblies into finished goods. Actively participates in the company’s lean manufacturing projects as both a team leader and supporter. Responsible for safety, quality, delivery, cost, staffing and efficiency.
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Supervises, develops, coaches and mentors hourly employees. Writes performance reviews and manages employee disciplinary action.
- Responsible for payroll time keeping system, keying all time entries in Dayforce to assure proper payroll runs.
- Coordinates and maintains necessary staffing, trains for flexibility and adjusts work practices and procedures to meet changes in product demand.
- Supports company policies and safety regulations consistently. Assures employees are working safely and using proper PPE. Conducts regular safety training and supports a culture of continuous improvement through the Safety CI Process. Must have a proactive safety mindset.
- Identifies and initiates resolution to personnel and operating issues through effective problem-solving skills and techniques.
- Prepares regular labor tracking, efficiency, and plant performance reports. Documents downtime. Manages warranty orders and Kanbans.
- Manages issues with design, process development and first article approval of new products.
- Implements and follows all prescribed manufacturing methods and practices to meet established quality standards. Ensures adherence to standard work through audits and effectively mitigates issues when standards are not being met.
- Establishes departmental labor and expense budgets to support operating plan.
- Initiates assembly improvements to reduce scrap and operating costs.
- Works closely with manufacturing engineering and makes suggestions to improve design and manufacturability of new and existing products.
- Establishes and maintains good supplier-customer relationships with other operating groups and departments.
- Identifies and develops areas to improve accuracy and simplify the use of operating systems.
- Reports machine and equipment malfunctions to maintenance personnel.
- Communicates with other Hayward manufacturing facilities on various topics, such as industrial engineering changes and changes to improve product quality.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Supervises all hourly production workers in the Assembly Department that are assigned to the lines he/she controls. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in compliance with the company’s policies and procedures. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience. At least 5 years of related experience and/or training in lean manufacturing; Assembly experience a definite plus. A strong background in supervision and leadership is also required.
Ability to read, write and communicate in English; Spanish is a plus. Ability to read and comprehend complex instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one situations, to other supervisors and in small group situations to employees of the department.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form; Ability to deal with problems involving employees; Ability to identify problems, conduct root cause analysis and share learnings with others in the organization. Must be competent in rapid decision making.
Other Skills and Abilities:
Leads by example. Experience using AS400 system, Microsoft Word and Excel. Ability to use calculator to calculate parts produced, machine rates being met, etc. Ability to effectively present information to individuals, small groups and senior management audiences. Must be able to read and interpret blueprints, and use QA measuring tools.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee frequently is required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move more than 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.