This position is responsible for supervising the operations of the assembly department which builds heavy equipment utilizing mechanical ability, the knowledge of hydraulics, electrical, and engineered drawings. The Department Supervisor ensures employees are aware of all safety requirements and instructs them in the Company’s Health & Safety Program. The job description is to be used as a guideline only and may not incorporate all functions of the job; education and experience outlines are ideal qualifications/assets but do not necessarily reflect the requirements of the position.
Essential Job Functions include the following, but are not limited to:
Manufacturing Process Flow
1) Maintains work flow by monitoring steps of the process; setting processing variables; observing control points and equipment; monitoring personnel and resources; studying methods; implementing cost reductions; developing reporting procedures and systems; facilitating corrections to malfunctions within process control points; initiating and fostering a spirit of cooperation within and between departments.
2) Keep records on work in progress and completed
3) Receive requests for the manufacturing of component parts
4) Interpret blueprints and drawings related to specifications, dimensions and tolerances of custom equipment
5) Prepare work schedules, makes work assignments for employees and sets work deadlines
6) Inspect work in progress and completed to ensure conformance to specifications and adherence to quality standards
7) Make working sketches and shop drawings of various metal components to be manufactured
8) Research shop files and confer with engineering to clarify the dimensions, tolerances, and limits required for projects where specifications are not identified
9) Maintains departmental compliance with established policies and procedures including ISO-9001, safety policies and procedures and human resources policies.
10) Ensure any safety hazards are addressed immediately
11) Compiles reports of employees' time spent and materials used for job assignments
12) Issue purchase requisitions for materials and parts necessary to perform work
13) Evaluates the need for new machinery and equipment to improve operational performance and recommend new purchase
14) Attends weekly production meetings and reports on work in progress
15) Supports the development of sales proposals by providing detailed labor estimates for fabricating and assembling equipment
16) Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
17) Ensures operation of equipment by calling for repairs; evaluating new equipment and techniques.
18) Provides manufacturing information by compiling, initiating, sorting, and analyzing production performance records and data; answering questions and responding to requests.
19) Creates and revises systems and procedures by analyzing operating practices, record-keeping systems, forms of control, and budgetary and personnel requirements; implementing change.
20) Maintains safe and clean work environment by educating and directing personnel on the use of all control points, equipment, and resources; maintaining compliance with established policies and procedures.
21) Ensures effective employee relations. Provide employee coaching and development. Makes employment decisions. Resolve employee issues through problem resolution
22) Maintains staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training employees; developing personal growth opportunities.
23) Trains and develops employees to become competent with company policies and procedures and job specific responsibilities
24) Tracks employee attendance and review and approve timesheets in a timely manner
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Problem solving—identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner, gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
- Customer Service—delivers excellent customer service with both external and internal customers. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with vendors, outside representatives and coworkers. Resolve customer issues promptly and professionally. Ensure effective communication and coordination with internal departments.
- Planning/organizing—prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently.
- Quality control—demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness, monitors own work to ensure quality and applies feedback to improve performance.
- Quantity—meets productivity standards and completes work in a timely manner.
- Adaptability—adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Dependability— consistently at work and on time, follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance.
- Safety and security—observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly.
Education and/or Experience
5-7 years of supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment. Knowledgeable of ISO 9001 standards an asset. Knowledgeable of OSHA General Industry standards. Skilled trade of machining and/or welding. Minimum secondary school diploma
Reads and comprehends complex instructions, lengthy correspondence, and memos; Writes simple to complex correspondence; Presents information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees effectively.
Adds, subtracts, multiplies, and divides in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals; Computes rate, ratio, and percent; draws and interprets bar graphs.
Applies common sense understanding to carry out detailed, written or oral instructions; Deals with problems involving a variables in standardized situations.
- Commitment – Keep Promises and follow through on commitments.
- Proactive – Look for blind spots and ensure success through contingency planning.
- Can Do Attitude – Know our business and get things done.
- Sense of Urgency –Highly responsive to internal and external customers.
- Intellectual Curiosity – Passionate about learning and being the best in field of endeavor.
- Integrity –Truthful in all dealings and communications, internally and externally. Fair with employees, customers, suppliers and investors.
- Respect – Respectful of all employees, customers and suppliers and is free from discrimination and sexual harassment for all individuals.
- Ethics – Abide by all local and national laws in the jurisdictions in which the Company operates.
- Safety – Take responsibility for the safety of self, coworkers, and visitors.
- Teamwork – work effectively with co-workers as a team; mentor and provide technical knowledge to co-workers; and demonstrate good attendance.
- Accountability - Rise above circumstances and demonstrate the ownership necessary for achieving the desired results.