Assistant Store Manager
(FT 40 hours)
This position reports to the Store Manager
The Assistant Store Manager supervises and motivates the Shift Supervisors and Customer Service Associates, inspiring them to model the customer service experience in order to drive sales and exceed customer expectations. Assistant Store Managers must promote an engaging and positive work environment that fosters open communication, encourages teamwork and inspires creativity.
Essential Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Models the Paper Source Customer Service Experience
- Consistently performs, leads by example and coaches staff to exemplify the customer engagement behaviors outlined in CREATE training:
- Connect with every customer by greeting them warmly, asking open-ended questions and engaging them in product related conversations.
- Respond to customers’ immediate needs
- Explore your customers’ needs and demonstrate products at the demo table, on the sales floor and at the custom print station.
- Add relevant products to complete the project, take it to the next level and help with their whole checklist.
- Thank every customer regardless of purchase.
- Empower customers to complete their creative projects at home and build customer loyalty
- Exhibits an attitude that is one of positive, can do and customer first with all customers.
- Knowledgeable and proficient in technology in order to accurately and efficiently process customer transactions professionally and in compliance with the Paper Source policy; sales, returns, gift certificates, special orders, etc.
- Manages store operations and visual merchandising standards to ensure a ‘grand opening’ look and feel to our customers.
- Resolve customer service related issues using good business judgment and elevating as needed to the Store Manager.
Inspire customers through impressive product knowledge
- Inspire our customers and staff about Paper Source’s unique product offerings through product stories, understanding and selling of our core businesses such as cards and envelopes and custom products.
- Demonstrate consistent selling behaviors that inspire our customers towards a greater connection with our products through registration and selling of workshops and special events to achieve company goals.
- Understand customers’ needs and projects to be able to make meaningful suggestions for additional purchases to achieve company goals.
- Completes all required training modules and has a clear understanding of all available tools and resources to enhance the selling experience
Executes consistent operational excellence
- Demonstrates the ability to efficiently and effectively operate the store in the absence of the Store Manager, executing opening and closing procedures to company policy.
- Oversee organization of the cash/wrap area, back room operations, stock organization and monitors store supply inventory.
- Consistently execute quality inventory practices with receiving, restocking, transfers, and managing inventory discrepancies and negative on hands.
- Partner with Store Manager in execution of accurate and detailed in store/product cycle counts and inventories as planned and communicated.
- Understand, model and support the Store Operations/HR policies and procedures and ensure consistent compliance and acceptable audit scores.
- Responsible to communicate daily the company/store objectives to store teams through consistent structured communication process.
- Partner with Store Manager in the training, communication and continued awareness of all policy and procedures including safety and maintenance to ensure compliance and acceptable store operational audit results
Drives sales and profitability through Key Performance Indicators and Manager on Duty leadership
- Utilize company business reporting to drive stores sales, conversion and profit plans to exceed budget through successful leadership, organizational plans, customer service, and outstanding execution of all field operations strategies, consistently.
- Demonstrate and hold team accountable to consistent selling behaviors that inspire our customers towards a greater connection with our products through registration and selling of workshops and special events to achieve company goals.
- Sells the benefits associated with capturing email addresses in our customer registry.
- Utilizes company tools and works with customer to suggest add-ons to ensure store sales goals, workshop goals, and ADT and UPT goals are met.
- Provide feedback to store management on customer requests, reaction to merchandise and store environment.
- Act as Manager-on-Duty
- Takes ownership of all store functions
- Sets up for success through planning, goal setting and communication
- Motivates the team to work together to achieve goals
- Coaches to reinforce positive behavior and challenge negative behavior
- Overcomes obstacles to achieve KPI goals and operational standards
- Motivates, inspires and communicates to the team, hourly sales and ADT goals during MOD shift along with results.
Drive and deliver budgeted sales of custom print and cards and envelopes product
Custom Print Coordinator
Partner with the Store Manager to drive custom print sales within the store through associate training and development, in store presentations and events, organization and communication.
Driving Business Results
- Responsible to lead store team towards store and personal sales goals. Maintain, motivate and track progress. Identify risk; be quick to course correct through coaching, mentoring, facilitating store needs and regular inspection.
- Communicates, drives and tracks custom print orders and card/envelope product sales to budgets
Associate Training and Development
- Manage in partnership with the Store Manager invitations training for store team is completed within 6 weeks of hire, an complete and accurate order is taken with in 9 weeks of hire and quarterly there after.
- Act as the stores communications liaison to effectively answer queries regarding custom print, as well as provide coaching opportunities when and where needed to the associates.
In-Store Presentation and Events
- Partner with the Store Manager to ensure that in-store samples and visuals (signage and presentation) are maintained according to the Paper Source visual standards.
- Manage the communication of pertinent information regarding both PS and third party custom print related business, forms policy, execution direction for related events, such as Paper Source Wedding.
- Monitor Daily proof log, address actions and track progress of all custom orders
- Follow up on correspondence between customer and Paper Source regarding proof approval and other communication as needed.
- Arts and crafts background preferred with a minimum of 1-2 years supervisory experience in retail or service related industry
- Demonstrated passion for Paper Source, our products, and our customer service experience.
- Outstanding leadership and communication skills. Inspiring interpersonal effectiveness to lead and train team and effect change. Ability to balance the need of delivering a creative experience, prioritizing tasks and delivering a profitable result in a team environment.
- Exemplify professional and ethical behaviors; follow all Paper Source policy and procedures
- Required to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business inclusive of nights and weekends.
- Ability to work with /around cleaning chemicals and various art supplies.
- Ability to effectively maneuver around sales floor and stock room. May include repetitive bending, prolonged standing, twisting, and lifting of up to 30 pounds.