- Position Type:
- Date Posted:
North High School
Grosse Pointe Public Schools
The Grosse Pointe Public School System, located in Grosse Pointe, Michigan, seeks an Associate Technical Director / Designer. You would be joining a fast-paced team of 6 other technicians that are responsible for all technical elements of the 4 Musicals, 3 Plays, and multitude of other live events that the district produces annually. This is a flexible position where we are looking to find the right candidate to join our team. For the right candidate we will adapt the position to suit your strengths and interests. We are looking for those eager to learn and grow while they mentor and produce high quality productions. This is a unique position where you will be involved in every step of every production throughout the school year.
This individual will assist in scenic and prop construction, painting, installations, lighting, sound, video, and rigging needs, supervise student crews, provide venue support for productions and other events, and contribute to general technical support of the theatre venues.
Samples of our productions are available at http://www.gpsouthchoir.org/photos/
- Assist Technical Director in scenic, lighting and technical design for all productions within the district;
- Be an integral part of each production’s run-crew;
- Assist in ensuring compliance with all applicable policies, procedures, regulations, and standards of quality and safety;
- Meet with clients, other technical staff and booking and programming personnel to discuss production needs and budgets;
- Prepare labor and equipment estimates;
- Install, maintain, repair, and coordinate the use of stage equipment, including sound and lighting systems and equipment;
- Assist in supervising professional and student stagehands as assigned; supervisory duties include instructing, planning and assigning work, reviewing work, maintaining standards, coordinating activities, allocating personnel and acting on employee problems;
- Train staff and students in the proper use of house equipment;
- Assist other departments with maintenance needs as requested;
- Maintain knowledge of current trends and technology in technical theater;
- Utilize various clerical and computer supplies; electrician’s tools, supplies and parts; hardware; cabling; hand and power tools, stage supplies, etc.;
- Interact and communicate with various groups and individuals such as the immediate supervisor, coworkers, other District staff, clients and their representatives, and the general public;
- Perform entertainment service technical duties at a general level of proficiency with an understanding and demonstration of basic theatrical technical skills;
- Troubleshoot needed maintenance and make minor repairs on sound systems, audio speakers, video components and other technical equipment as assigned;
- Assist in the hiring, training, managing, and supervising of a student technical staff in the implementation of designs and plans for use of technologies within the District;
- Participate in establishing a welcoming atmosphere and supportive learning environment in the Grosse Pointe Public School System. The Associate Technical Director frequently works and collaborates with faculty, staff, students, guest artists/performers and the public and must be able to communicate effectively and productively, both verbally and in writing; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree in theater or three to five years of experience and/or training in technical theater or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities;
- Familiar with a broad range of technical areas including stage, set, sound, video, and lighting design and implementation; stage management, lighting systems, stage carpentry, sound reinforcement, and video systems;
- Well-rounded in all technical aspects in theater;
- Knowledge of drafting;
- Ability to instill, by example, a collaborative approach to production;
- Ability to provide clear guidance to students;
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with equipment and teach other staff members how to do the same;
- Ability to accommodate programs and events outside of the school day; and
- Valid driver’s license and ability to obtain a Chauffeur's license to drive up to a 25’ Box Truck.
- Must be able to engage in moderately physically demanding work;
- Requires the ability to coordinate hands and eyes using office and specialized machinery;
- Must have significant levels of eye/hand/foot coordination;
- Requires the ability to talk and/or hear;
- Must be physically capable of working at heights (catwalks, boom lifts, man lifts, etc.);
- Must be physically capable of regularly lifting 50 lbs or more;
- Must be willing to walk and stand for long periods of time;
- Must be able to multitask while maintaining a positive attitude to ensure excellent service;
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes weekdays, weekends, and evenings; and
- Hourly wage is $18-22 per the wage schedule in the PAC Employment Relationship Policy.
Complete the on-line application and attach resume, any applicable transcripts, 3 professional references.
Posting will remain open until filled.
The successful candidate must meet the State standard for a clear criminal history and provide mandated fingerprint clearance.
Please contact PJ Veltri, Technical Director: Theatre, with any questions regarding the position. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or +1(313)-432-3260