Hayward Pool Products, a division of Hayward Industries, Inc. is the largest manufacturer of residential swimming pool equipment in the world, with a significant presence in the commercial pool market that is continuously growing. Headquartered in Elizabeth, New Jersey, Hayward designs, manufactures and markets a full line of residential and commercial pool and spa equipment including pumps, filters, heating, cleaners, salt chlorinators, automation, lighting, safety, flow control and energy solutions. For over 80-years, Hayward has been enhancing pool ownership by manufacturing cutting edge, advanced pool and spa equipment. Hayward listens to our customers’ needs and makes sure they are implemented during the design and manufacturing process. The goal is to become the preferred brand of choice with every residential and commercial swimming pool and spa.
The Automation Engineer is a hands-on developer of automated production equipment & automation systems used to enhance our internal manufacturing processes. This role provides technical design support in developing and deploying automation equipment utilizing SCADA, Robotics, HMIs, PLCs, and a variety of other controls and communications techniques
Major Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Demonstrated ability to visually identify automation opportunities that reduce variation and improve overall product quality.
- Design and develop new equipment or systems utilizing robotics and integration of SCADA, HMI, PLC and application integration
- Design mechanical and electrical upgrades and improvements for production equipment utilizing in-house design as well as outside contractor partners for the design and fabrication of that equipment.
- Recommend, plan and implement equipment upgrades to improve production efficiency and/or cost reductions.
- Collaborate with product management, manufacturing, design engineering teams, and external design partners
- Ensure that equipment is safely maintained and assures products can be produced to specification
- Provide design oversight and consultation to multiple development and support activities
- Ensure compliance of Hayward’s lean manufacturing principles and ensure machine capabilities to prescribed standards
- Champion oversight of data management systems in support of automation related data acquisition
- Develop & track Key Performance Indicators related to automation implementation
- 3+ years experience with automated equipment & automated systems
- Experience with PLC ladder logic, Analog signals, Networking, Wireless communications, HMI panel programming, Data Acquisition, Robotics and Vision system integration
- Experience with Solid Works preferred, AutoCAD mechanical
- Requires excellent analytical and problem-solving skills to be applied in programming and troubleshooting of machine control processes
- Demonstrated expertise managing automation design projects from concept through deployment
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing a plus
- Must demonstrate great communication & interpersonal skills, ability to interact with all levels of management and vendors. Capable of working in a team environment.
- BS in Mechatronics, Electromechanical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related technical degree