On behalf of Abt Associates, Headway Workforce Solutions is seeking a Bilingual Part-Time Observer for the VIQI study. Observers will be trained in one of two sets of classroom observation measures: either (A) Language Interaction Snapshot (LISn) and Global Fidelity Measure (GFM), or (B) Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale (ECERS-R), Classroom Assessment Scoring System (CLASS) and Global Fidelity Measure (GFM). Observers will go into schools to conduct observations in preschool-aged childcare centers (ages 3-5). The observations will focus on classroom materials and interactions between the teacher and students.
Observers must participate in an in-person training and pass certification for each measure in order to be hired for the data collection effort. Candidates should be confident in their ability to actively learn during in-person trainings and willing to receive, incorporate and apply critical feedback from trainers. Candidates should be prepared to go through multiple rounds of certification if they do not pass on the first attempt. Additionally, candidates should be confident in their ability to multi-task, should be comfortable in a classroom setting, and contacting school personnel in order to coordinate their visits. Observers will report to a remote Field Manager regularly with updates on their progress.
- Observers must pass a federal security clearance (background check, fingerprinting, etc.)
- Observers must pass any additional security screenings required by school districts
- Observers must attend a 5-day training in Ft. Lauderdale, FL in August 14 – August 18, 2018
- The LISn team will participate in one day of in-classroom practice for certification purposes at a local childcare center in Fort Lauderdale
- Available to conduct classroom observations from late August 2018 through October 2018
- Follow-up observations will be conducted in the same schools in spring of 2019 (March-April); ideally the observers recruited for fall 2018 will be available and willing to work again for the spring 2019 follow-up
- Approximate hours during data collection: 20-30 hours per week for 5 weeks. Observations will take place between 8 am and 12 pm
- Must be physically able to carry the necessary equipment, including a laptop computer. The total weight of required equipment is approximately 15 pounds
- Must be willing to travel as needed (i.e. trainings), stand, walk, climb stairs and sit for at least 4 hours
- Must communicate through speech and listening, and electronically with project staff
Observation measures to be trained:
- LISn – Language Interaction Snapshot – examines language interactions between a focal child and adults/peers
- ECERS-R – Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale – examine process and structural quality in classrooms
- CLASS- Classroom Assessment Scoring System – measures overall quality with a focus on interaction among teachers and students in the classroom
- GFM- Global Fidelity Measure – captures general best practices that are inherent across interventions and ensures interrater reliability on measure
Headway Workforce Solutions provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Headway Workforce Solutions complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, and transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.