At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world's leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team-especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development.
And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America's Best Employers in 2016. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens...
The Senior Team Leader - Bioinformatics will lead a team of experienced bioinformaticians focused on the analysis of raw data generated through sequencing of DNA, RNA, and proteins. This includes the processing, analysis, integration, and visualization of data, as well as functional annotations. The Bioinformatics team leader ensures workflow automation, pathway analysis including data visualization networks.
Bioinformatics, Senior Team Leader (1701882) - San Diego, CA
The Senior Team Leader will closely interact with other scientists. In addition, tasks will include active networking with internal and external research groups, strategic planning, and supporting a functional vision focused on continuously improving bioinformatics expertise, algorithms, and methods. The individual is expected to play an active role in the GB computational bioscience platform to develop and use competences synergistically and most efficiently.
Formula for Success: You Will...
- Be responsible for a team of experts in BASF's worldwide Digitalization in R&D Department providing support to our project partners in molecular biology, enzymology, and biochemistry.
- Manage, coach, and develop the San Diego team and direct, hands-on, scientific support for projects by analyzing genome, proteome, transcriptome, and various other datasets for in-depth mining and interpretation.
- Leverage your expertise to develop, apply, and evaluate new software solutions and web applications to manage workflow automation, pathway analyses, and data visualization.
- Communicate clearly and openly, along with your skill at building relationships with our internal project partners is key for project success and continuous advancement of current and future needs.
- Manage projects with diverse groups of participants will be necessary as part of local, regional, and global efforts in global bioinformatics team and with cross-functional teams.
Leadership Core Responsibilities:
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential.
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units.
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance.
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally.
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity.
- Execute performance and career development discussions.
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy.
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You...
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you-the whole you-in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believe investing in you is investing in our success. Working for a large, global organization, you'll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand your network and build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You...
- A Ph.D. in Bioinformatics or related field with 4 years of research experience in Bioinformatics; a Master's degree in Bioinformatics or related field with 10 years of research experience in Bioinformatics; or a Bachelor's degree in Bioinformatics or related field with 13 years of research experience in Bioinformatics.
- Experience with bioinformatics as related to industrial enzyme design or strain development preferred.
- Familiarity working in/with industry.
- Background in managing a team of direct reports.
- Proven successful project management experience.
- Demonstrated leadership or mentoring experience and success working and communicating with customers, other researchers, peers, and other departments.
- Ability to work in a team environment encompassing multiple disciplines.
Leadership Expectations : As a leader at BASF, you will play a key role in creating value for the company through people. Our top candidate will be expected to enable greater personal success among our employees through quality people development, coaching, and performance management. Leaders at BASF are role models to help employees develop the competencies needed to implement BASF's strategy. Our expectation is that leaders will coach and develop team members to reach their full potential, and support relevant development assignments, opportunities and moves while motivating and challenging employees to drive high performance. Our leaders must be committed to "hiring the best" internally and externally at the same time they are creating an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity. Finally, a leader at BASF must establish and support our safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.