Bookkeepers perform accounting services, business management services, and data entry functions. They also prepare payroll tax returns, sales tax returns, business property statements, and if abilities and time permit, will be exposed to individual income tax return and business tax return preparation. A bookkeeper's responsibilities include the following:
- Using QuickBooks software to perform ongoing business management services for clients, including making deposits, writing checks, and doing bank reconciliations and account analysis.
- Performing after-the-fact accounting services (write-up) using QuickBooks or our trial balance software.
- On a periodic basis as required, preparing balance sheets, income statements, general ledger reports, etc. from the QuickBooks accounting program.
- Importing a client’s financial information into our trial balance software. Preparing and posting adjusting entries into our trial balance software.
- As directed, meeting with client personnel to perform on-site accounting services.
- Preparing payroll and local sales tax returns on a periodic basis.
- Drafting correspondence to taxing authorities to address issues in the bookkeeper’s purview.
- Contacting local taxing authorities, banks, and other businesses on behalf of our clients.
The successful candidate must be eager to learn, receptive to critiques of work product, and willing to work on a variety of projects. Bookkeepers interact with client and firm personnel in face-to-face meetings, therefore bookkeepers need to have good communication skills and strong interpersonal skills. Superior math skills and an ability to problem solve as well as a good attitude and enthusiasm for the accounting profession are also traits that we look for in a bookkeeper. During tax season we work long hours and persons with initiative and a pleasant personality are appreciated.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT THE POSITION
· Depends on education and experience.
· 100% paid medical insurance for employee
· 401(K) PLAN – we have a profit share rather than match.
· Paid parking
EDUCATION AND CREDENTIALS:
· AA degree in accounting (or the equivalent) is required.
· We prefer candidates that have relevant work experience in accounting, bookkeeping, payroll tax preparation, sales tax preparation, preparation of business property statements, and preparation of city business license returns.
· Experience in with income tax preparation is a plus.
· Experience with property management is a plus.
· Experience with a prior CPA firm or business management firm is a plus.
· Minimum 5 years’ experience required.
TECHNICAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
· Candidates must be proficient with Microsoft Office.
· Proficiency with 10-key calculators is preferred.
· Candidates should be typing proficient and should be able to type at least 25 WPM on a standard computer keyboard.
· Candidates must have proficient business-level writing skills.
· Experience with accounting software, especially QuickBooks, is required.
Candidates should have a basic understanding of the concepts of accrual and cash basis accounting. Candidates should be able to understand the similarities and differences between these two bases of accounting.
· A candidate must demonstrate proficiency in spoken conversation via telephone or in face-to-face meetings.
· Candidates should have good interpersonal skills and enjoy working with others and speaking with others. Candidates should enjoy working individually and in teams.
ABOUT THE FIRM
We are a mid-sized local CPA firm located in Sherman Oaks, California. The firm was founded in 1947 and has served Metropolitan Los Angeles for nearly 70 years. Our client base consists of high net worth individuals and closely held businesses in a variety of industries including real estate, retail/wholesale distribution, manufacturing, non-profit, and healthcare. We provide a variety of services including
, income tax planning and compliance, accounting / business management, audit and attestation, trustee and consultation services.
Our firm consists of 7 owners and approximately 20 accounting professionals and 4 administrative professionals. Organizationally, we are fairly flat and do not rely on hierarchies. Personnel generally work directly with or are only one level removed from the owners. We come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and treat each person as an individual. In the office, we dress business casual.
Our philosophy is to remain current with technology.
Our ideal professionals are intelligent, motivated, team players who enjoy accounting and working with others. An ability to be professional and get along with others is a key success factor. We work hard and we value a person’s efforts and results.
If you are interested in becoming an accounting professional in a fast paced, friendly and team-oriented environment, then we may be a home for you.