LA BioMed is a non-profit scientific research organization dedicated to saving lives not only in the greater Los Angles metro area but throughout the world.The Institute has over more than 120 principal investigators and 400 researchers in total — MD’s, MD/PhD’s, and PhD’s — working on over 1,000 research studies. We are academically affiliated with the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and work in partnership with the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Our research is funded by many sources including: grants from the NIH and other government entities, Industry and teaching contracts and royalties, as well as private donors and other non-profit foundations.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- BS degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field of study, or equivalent work experience
- Minimum of 2 + years experience with post award federal grants and contracts administration accounting
- Must possess strong reconciliation and analytical skills
- Requires a working knowledge of federal circulars; NIH policies and procedures: Grants.gov website.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and utilize spreadsheets and database software to retrieve data, reporting and data manipulation purposes, including proficiency with pivot tables and conditional formatting. Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Requires a working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Requires good interpersonal skills
Description of Duties:
- Manages and communicates financial information to research partners as well as to external funding agencies
- Manage the day-to-day operations of project accounting to ensure quality performance of award maintenance, account creation, budget and expense analysis, accounting system updates, expenditure review, cost transfers and overall proper accountability of awards. Forecast and encumber expenses for accurate and timely expenses. Track sub-contract expenses, incoming and out-going invoices.
- Work independently to prepare sub contract budgets and documents related to specific granting agency guidelines for grant submissions including bio-sketch review, other support, and overview. Prepare grant applications using “Assist” for successful submission process.
- Prepares summaries of grant and effort allocations for PI’s
- Regularly communicates with PI’s or staff regarding funding portfolio and expense allocation
- Works closely with ORA and Procurement staff on re-budgets and no-cost extensions and other related matters
- LA BioMed offers a competitive package of employment benefits for its employees and their dependents.
- Medical: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or POS group medical insurance benefits. The cost for these benefits is shared between LA BioMed and the employee.
- Dental: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with a choice of HMO or PPO group dental insurance benefit options, including orthodontic allowances. The cost for these benefits is shared between LA BioMed and the employee.
- Vision: Regular full-time employees and their dependents are provided with group vision insurance benefit options. The cost for these benefits is shared between LA BioMed and the employee.
- Disability: Eligible employees are provided with long-term disability insurance, which is fully paid for by LA BioMed. This insurance provides benefits if an employee becomes disabled due to illness, pregnancy, or injury for more than 120 days.
- Paid Vacation: Eligible employees can accumulate ten (10) hours of vacation per month up to a maximum of 15 working days per year.
- Pension Plan: LA BioMed provides a retirement plan for eligible employees, which is fully funded by LA BioMed. LA BioMed makes an annual contribution based on each employee’s earnings in accordance with the provisions of the plan.
- Supplemental Retirement: Eligible employees can participate in a 403(b) supplemental retirement plan which allows pretax contributions. LA BioMed offers a variety of investment options through Fidelity Investment, TIAA/CREF.
- Life Insurance: Eligible employees are provided with group life insurance, which is fully paid for by LA BioMed.
- Paid Sick Leave: Eligible employees can accrue up to ten (10) days of sick leave per year.
LA BioMed is an Equal Opportunity Employer