If you like working on vehicle engines, transmissions, etc. joining the SMART team as a Mechanic may be the perfect career opportunity for you! SMART is actively looking for Mechanics to fill vacancies Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties.
- Paid training, competitive benefits package, healthcare savings program (post-employment), defined benefit pension plan (MERS), employee transportation pass on Fixed Route services, paid vacation, holidays and personal leave days, tuition reimbursement and career opportunities and growth
- Starting wage $20.07/hr (top pay rate after 5 years at $23.59/hr)
- Apply today at https://www.smartbus.org/About/Careers/Openings/jobid/113
Under general supervision, to perform the full range of automotive and mechanical repair and maintenance tasks to a variety of gasoline and/or diesel fuel powered buses and related vehicles including maintenance of shop equipment.
A mechanic shall be skilled in the following:
- All engine repairs and trouble diagnosis.
- All transmission repairs and trouble diagnosis.
- All electrical repairs and diagnosis.
- All air conditioning repairs and diagnosis.
- All general body repairs and painting.
- All coach suspension and running gear repair.
- All welding.
- All machinist work.
- Repair of shop equipment – related machinist work.
- All chassis work.
Typical Examples of Work Performed
In-chassis and out-of-chassis engine overhaul, rebuild; inspecting engine components utilizing micrometers, depth gauges and dial indicator. Rebuilding clutches and overhauling automotive and mechanical transmissions. Troubleshooting engine and transmission malfunctions; performing stalltests, utilizing testing equipment such as manometers, magnetic gauges, and tachometer. Overhauling air conditioning compressors, motors, hydraulic units.Troubleshooting electrical circuits, overhauling brakes, steering gear boxes, door controls; using electrical arc or acetylene welding to cut, braze, weld or fashion equipment parts, brackets or braces which may be required to complete a repair; changing differentials, U-joint, spindles, tie rod ends, aligning front end geometry; instructing and overseeing the work of Assistant Mechanics and Mechanic Helper; performing a variety of body work.
Education equivalent to completion of eight grades in an elementary school and preferably high school graduation with courses in general shop and automotive repair; reasonable experience in repairing and rebuilding a variety of gasoline and/or diesel fuel powered vehicles or completion of an approved four-year apprenticeship in automotive repair or its equivalent; some ability to weld, braze and cut with electric arc and acetylene torch; reasonable knowledge of the tools, methods, materials and practices used in repairing automotive equipment; some familiarity with mechanical electrical and hydraulic principles as applied to the repair and maintenance of automotive equipment; physical strength and agility; physically and mentally capable of performing all the duties of the classification.
Employees in this class will be required to provide the tools necessary to perform the work assigned; operate a commercial motor vehicle and must possess a valid Commercial Driver's license (CDL) with proper endorsements.
Apply today at https://www.smartbus.org/About/Careers/Openings/jobid/113