Job Title: Special NeedsBus Monitor Wage/Hour Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Director of Transportation/Facilities Pay Grade Auxiliary 1
Dept./School: Transportation Date Revised: 04/2011
Assist the bus driver in transporting students with disabilities to and from home and the complete range of curricular and extra curricular activities offered
Must be 21 years of age
Ability to work well with children with disabilities
Ability to safely operate appropriate safety and adaptive equipment
Ability to follow verbal instructions and communicate effectively with parents, staff and students
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist driver in loading and unloading disabled students to and from school.
- Supervise students as they board and leave bus and cross street.
- Learn and adapt to each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs.
- Manage student behavior and communicate with teachers and parents on a daily basis regarding behavior or incidents while on bus.
- Become familiar with all routes to and from school campus to be of assistance to driver.
- Use wheel chair straps, tie downs, seat belts, harnesses, or car seats to secure students.
- Assist driver in handling emergency situations, including first aid, evacuations and practice drills.
- Be adaptable and flexible in acceptance of changes in techniques and procedures.
- Maintain a professional level of confidentiality regarding all district matters.
- Be familiar with and follow established procedures, techniques, and safety practices.
- Support the goals and objectives of the district and follow district policies.
- Help driver keep bus clean.
- Work irregular hours as needed, with regular and consistent attendance.
- Participate in meetings and training sessions as required by District staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Wheelchair lift ramp, locks, seatbelts, harnesses, car seats, special adaptive equipment, safety equipment (flares, reflective signs), fire extinguisher, seat belts, car seats, broom, two-way radio
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling; moderate lifting and carrying. Work outside and inside; work around vehicles and machinery with moving parts; moderate exposure to extreme temperatures and vehicle fumes. Demonstrate patience and flexibility in changing job demands and when interacting with employees, visitors, and the public.
The foregoing statements describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties that may be assigned or skills that may be required.