At Northrop Grumman, our work with cutting-edge technology is driven by something human: the lives our technologies protects. It's the value of innovation that makes a difference today and tomorrow. Here you'll have the opportunity to connect with coworkers in an environment that's uniquely caring, diverse, and respectful; where employees share experience, insights, perspectives and creative solutions through integrated product & cross-functional teams, and employee resource groups. From engineering and manufacturing, to operations and business development, Northrop Grumman's Sunnyvale location offers the opportunity to serve national security and impact the lives of Americans all over the globe from the landscape of Northern California. Don't just build a career, build a life at Northrop Grumman Sunnyvale.
Northrop Grumman Marine Systems (NGMS) is a leading provider of naval propulsion and tactical equipment support systems. NGMS is seeking a highly motivated & skilled CNC Programmer who will specialize in the fabrication (machining) of high value large-scale precision metal components (low-volume / high-mix). This position requires a candidate with a strong background and working knowledge of metal removal/machining fundamentals and computer numerical control (CNC) programming experience.
Requirements & Responsibilities:
- Create and edit CNC programs that support the machining of large-scale, complex, precision metal components fabricated on multiple-axis CNC milling & turning machining centers (CAM file generation, post-processor machine code generation)
- Perform technical data package review of components that require fabrication (CAD model & engineering drawing validation)
- Perform machining process development & optimization (part setup/fixturing, machining strategy/order of operations, tool selection, speed/feed process parameter selection)
- Identify, select, and procure appropriate tooling for job specific applications (based on part material, geometry, features, tolerances, system rigidity, and equipment capability)
- Perform program prove-out validation (computer simulation tools, table top' peer reviews, First Time Process Reviews, machine dry runs)
- Work with machinists, manufacturing engineers, and design engineers to identify process improvement opportunities (reduced machining/setup time, improved part quality, reduced manufacturing risk) and incorporate required design changes (customer driven changes, technical performance improvements, improved manufacturability)
- Participate in and lead cross-functional teams comprised of machinists/operators, manufacturing engineers, production supervisors, supply chain representatives, quality engineers/inspectors, and operations/program management to support program schedule & performance goals, mitigate manufacturing risks, and improve operational efficiency
- This job requisition is for a 1st Shift position; however, occasional extended shift, off-shift, and/or weekend support maybe required
- Occasional travel may be required for training purposes or to participate in equipment selection/acceptance activities (less than 10%)
- Northrop Grumman offers comprehensive benefits packages, competitive wages, and 9/80 flexible work schedules
- Bachelors degree and 5+ years of relevant work experience. Note: additional 4 years of work experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- 2+ years direct experience working in a machining CNC programming role
- Ability to read, interpret, and understand manufacturing blueprints and process plans
- 2+ years experience usingGeometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- Ability to create and edit CNC programs that support the machining of precision components
- Experience creating and/or editing 3DCAM files
- Ability to work swing, graveyard and weekend shifts (up to 20%)
- Masters of Science in an Engineering discipline (Mechanical, Manufacturing/Operations, Machining, Process, Materials)
- Experience/proficiency working with materials requirements planning (MRP) and manufacturing execution systems (MES), SAP experience preferred
- Demonstrated proficiency using Siemens NX CAD/CAM software to create NC programs for multiple-axis CNC milling & turning machining centers
- Detailed oriented, strong communication skills
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.