From litigation services to trial services to ADR services, ALARIS Litigation Services (“ALARIS”), formerly known as Midwest Litigation, has been providing clients with peace of mind since 1985. Headquartered in downtown Saint Louis, ALARIS partners with attorneys nationwide to supply timely, dependable, and innovative trial support. ALARIS boasts 11 brick and mortar offices locations, all of which are prepared with modern client-ready facilities, conferences rooms, and cutting-edge technology, not to mention complimentary snacks and beverages. It’s a client-centric approach that has propelled ALARIS in growth and remains characteristic of ALARIS team members and the ALARIS customer experience.
Necessitated by growth and as part of its strategic plan, ALARIS is now seeking to add an experienced CONTROLLER to its leadership team. Our Controller will be responsible for all accounting and financial operations, including the production of financial reports and the implementation of best accounting practices. Our Controller will also maintain a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, ensure the accuracy of our financial results, and ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
Reporting to our President, our Controller will be responsible for:
- Financial Administration: Oversee accounting practices in accordance with GAAP and adequate internal audit controls, manage A/R, A/P and general ledger functions, monitor credit and collections, review bank activity, prepare financial statements, variance analysis and payroll. Closely monitor financial performance and forecasting and establish budgets for each department. Track key performance metrics to optimize each department’s performance and profitability. Provide accurate and timely financial reports. Analyze cash flow requirements/projections. Develop and maintain solid relationships with outside service providers such as auditors, insurance brokers, and vendors. Assure compliance with all local, state and federal regulations.
- Team Management: Manage a team of 3 direct reports, including oversight for a team of eight (8) A/R team members responsible for billings and collections. Assess team member strengths and abilities and partner with our HR leader to determine appropriate roles and responsibilities. Drive the continual development of a cohesive and productive team focused on continuous improvement to ensure delivery of a client-centric customer experience. Effectively interact with management across the organization.
- Collaborative Leadership: Partner with the ALARIS leadership team to provide timely and pertinent financial analysis, business advice, and process design/improvement. Ensure that profit is maximized from current business in a manner consistent with company culture. Add value through continuous cost and productivity improvement across the company, providing recommendations as necessary. Process bi-weekly employee payroll in a timely manner. Payroll processing includes commissions, employee expense reimbursement, and depositing 401k match through 401k website. Manage 401k loans, garnishments, and annual profit share deposit. Calculate monthly trial commissions and court reporting commissions. Verify accuracy of court reporting commissions through Managing Director. Oversee weekly independent contractor pay and the issuance of annual 1099’s for independent contractors and affiliates.
- Process Improvement:Serve as a change agent, continuously challenging the company to achieve greater performance while questioning the status quo. Manage the creation, preparation and maintenance of the budgeting process for monthly, quarterly and annual bill payments, taxes, payroll and other expenses and income. Coach others to be analysts and thinkers who can anticipate opportunities and implement ideas for improvement in a prudent and tactful manner.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
- Minimum of seven (7+) years of accounting experience and evidence of progressive financial leadership. Prior work experience in public accounting ideal but not required.
- Prior financial team management experience is strongly preferred. Prior experience in entrepreneurial small- to mid-size company environment a plus.
- 4-year degree in accounting or finance required; advanced degree a plus.
- CPA is preferred but is not required.
- Thorough knowledge of general accounting principles and practices including applicable computer applications, financial reporting, principles of budget preparation and control, pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
- Must demonstrate broad conceptual judgment, initiative and ability to deal with complex accounting issues.
- Must be proficient in MS Office and preferably QuickBooks.
- Experience with Integrated Payroll Systems (IPS) software a plus!
- Excellent organizational, planning and prioritization skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and negotiation skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, verbally and in writing.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and to work successfully with all employee levels, regardless of background and perspectives.
Ready to Apply?
Apply in confidence at www.csiapply.com. All inquiries and resume submissions will be held strictly confidential. Should you experience difficulties with the application or wish to make a confidential referral, please contact our search consulting firm, Collaborative Strategies, Inc., at firstname.lastname@example.orgHelp.
Collaborative Strategies, Inc., a St. Louis-based strategy consulting firm with a dedicated executive search practice, has been connecting executive talent to opportunity to since 1994. We take pride in matching entrepreneurial leaders with great organizations such as ALARIS. Visit us at www.getcollaborative.com.