As the multi-specialty group practice for the faculty of the University of Minnesota Medical School, University of Minnesota Physicians has more than 950 physicians and 1,600 health professionals, providing clinical care in over 100 specialty and sub-specialty areas. Our mission is three-fold: delivering exceptional patient care, advancing medicine through research, and training the next generation of health professionals.
The Clinic Support Specialist facilitates pre-appointment coordination for patients receiving specialty care at the M Health Clinics and Surgery Center in Minneapolis. Assists specialty patients, family and health care providers with all scheduling, medical record gathering, medical record retrieval, right fax management, mail and appointment coordination needs. Coordinates care/information with care team and/or administration. Maintains specialty intake database.
Key responsibilities include:
- Coordination of care/information with care team and/or administration
- Secures information pertinent to the patient visit.
- Obtains internal and external records including, but not limited to, medical records, scans/imaging and pathology slides.
- Arranges for courier service when needed to obtain records.
- Completes intake with as much data/facts/information as possible to assure appropriate registration, scheduling and insurance reimbursements.
- Provides Right Fax management.
- Handles mail retrieval and distribution.
- Creates new patient packet according to individual patient needs.
- Pages and messages providers and care coordinators regarding urgent issues that need to be addressed in a timely matter.
- Communicates with patients regarding eligibility for clinical trials.
- Meets with patients upon arrival to clinic to introduce themselves and care coordinator.
- Collects all relevant records for patients going back as far as necessary to make sure complete medical history is maintained.
- Works behind the scenes to make all pre-appointment needs are met, minimizing the patient’s need to call multiple offices for services.
In order to qualify for this role, candidates must have:
Post high school education in medical related area or equivalent experience
Prior experience in complex patient scheduling and registration in a clinic setting.
Two to three years of strong customer service experience.
Basic research skills regarding clinical trials.
Good medical terminology skills.
Strong attention to detail and organizational skills with a broad knowledge of specialty service line
Conflict management and problem solving skills. Good critical thinking and prioritization skills.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Empathy. Excellent communication and presentation skills.
Two year college degree in medical related area or Bachelor’s degree in Science or Healthcare related area.
Two years of medical intake specialist experience. Epic skills.
Core knowledge of all diagnoses, and ability to follow algorithms.
Strong organizational and documentation skills. Ability to promote service line. Database management.
Clinic Description: Clinics and Surgery Center
Location: 909 Fulton St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
Hours: 0.6 FTE
M Physicians offers competitive salary and excellent benefits and provides you with the opportunity to enhance your career in the exciting field of health care through rewarding and challenging assignments and the opportunities for advancement.