Health Info Services
Full-Time · 8-4
Job Summary: The HIS Coding Supervisor plans, organizes and oversees the day to day operations of the HIS department coding/abstracting functions. This position provides leadership to coding staff and ensures staff maintain up to date knowledge and skills.
- Coordinates the hiring and training of personnel. Conducts performance evaluations and counsels employees in performance improvement. Resolves conflict among staff and investigates and initiates disciplinary actions when appropriate. Coordinates employee schedules to ensure adequate coverage.
- Collaborates with the CDI team staff to foster strong relationships with the coding team in the query process and clinical documentation improvement process.
- Develops, implements and monitors policies/procedures, quick reference guides, and quality monitors for the coding area.
- Monitors and analyzes performance and productivity for coding/abstracting processes to assure quality standards and HIS department and Saratoga Hospital goals are met.
- Acts as a resource for the coding staff as well as serve as liaison for the medical staff to address coding related issues and questions. Responsible for ensuring the timely education of the coding team regarding coding/abstracting changes in laws, regulations and policies requirements to ensure compliance.
- Assists with the IPRO, insurance, RAC review process and DRG denial review process including submission of appeals in a timely manner.
- Provides leadership for process improvement and redesign to improve customer satisfaction, reduce costs and/or meet departmental and organizational goals and objectives.
Qualifications: Bachelor' Degree in Health Information Management (RHIA) Or Associates Degree in Health Information Management (RHIT) with at least 3 years of related management experience, and a minimum of 3 years of previous coding experience. CCS strongly preferred.
RHIA or RHIT required.
Effective supervisory and management skills.
Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to multitask and adapt to changes quickly.
Knowledge and competency in the use of computer applications.
Knowledge of The Joint Commissions rules/regulations as well and state and federal guidelines for the health information function relative to medical record content and completion as well as coding.
Ability to actively contribute to the morale and teamwork of the staff and facility always presenting a positive attitude and to be patient minded.