About Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
Katten is a firm of first choice for clients seeking sophisticated, high-value legal services in the United States and abroad. Our nationally recognized practices include corporate, financial services, litigation, real estate, environmental, commercial finance, insolvency and restructuring, intellectual property, and trusts and estates. Our more than 650 attorneys serve public and private companies, including a third of the Fortune 100, as well as a number of government and nonprofit organizations and individuals. We provide full-service legal advice from locations across the United States and in London and Shanghai.
Summary for the Commercial Finance Paralegal:
Under the general direction of supervising attorney(s) and/or senior paralegal(s) and according to established Firm policies and procedures, is responsible for providing paralegal support and assistance to supervising attorneys and paralegals in all aspects of commercial finance transactions including, but not limited to, setup, routine maintenance, reporting requirements, transaction management, UCC searches and preparation, and coordination of all aspects of commercial finance closings. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and Firm matters.Essential
Job Duties for the Commercial Finance Paralegal
Client billable hour requirement: 1,700 hours annually (142 client billable hours average per month).
- Assist with the preparation of draft term sheets, credit agreements, business certificates, exhibits, opinion letters, standard form loan documents, and other commercial finance documents. Organize and proofread all documentation.
- Prepare financing statements, releases, and transfers of assets.
- Perform UCC searches.Prepare and review UCC’s.
- Perform duties/tasks associated with commercial finance transactional closings.
- Draft closing checklists, prepare closing books, and assemble documents under the supervision of the supervising attorney.
- Coordinate and assist with documentation for closing and post-closing requirements.
- Maintain up-to-date time reports to ensure accurate client billing.
- Other duties may be requested and/or assigned. Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position.
Qualifications for the Commercial Finance Paralegal
- Bachelor’s degree and three or more year’s related experience preferably in a law firm environment; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Legal research knowledge and ability to use law library are required. Previous experience and applicable working knowledge and understanding of Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code is preferred. Paralegal certificate from an ABA accredited paralegal program a plus.
- Computer proficient with experience and working knowledge of Westlaw and other commercial finance-related databases, Internet research, due diligence, Excel, Outlook, and MS Word preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills including record keeping, data collection, and system information. Ability to compile and analyze data and furnish information in report format, written correspondence, e‑mail, or verbally
- .Analytical skills requiring an aptitude for detail and accuracy in order to analyze and research commercial finance transactional data, process information, and perform essential duties.
- Dependable team player who works collaboratively and cooperatively with others in a team-oriented environment. Ability to act independently and make decisions within scope of the position’s responsibilities.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, detail-oriented work environment, and adapt to changes in workflow, and ensure work is completed within defined deadlines. Proactive with excellent troubleshooting, problem resolution, and follow-through skills.
- Possess excellent knowledge of reading, writing, grammar, spelling, punctuation, proofreading, and formatting in order to interpret source data, prepare commercial finance transactional documents and forms, proofread material for grammatical, typographical, and spelling errors, and perform file maintenance.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations and apply mathematical concepts when computing, reconciling balances, and verifying numerical data on forms and documents.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including computer, laser printer, telephone, photocopier, calculator, scanner, facsimile, etc.
- Ability to occasionally retrieve and distribute files, written documentation and copies, or office supplies weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Work occasionally requires more than 37.5 hours per week to perform the essential duties of the position.
- Occasional travel to other Firm locations may be required.
We offer an outstanding benefit package which includes: medical/dental/vision, 401k with employer contribution; transportation fringe benefit program; back-up care option; generous paid time off policy; and long-term and short-term disability policies.
Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP is an Equal Opportunity Employer/AA-M/F/SO/Disability/Veteran.