The primary focus of the position is construction related project management. The position will be responsible for the construction process from the concept development stage, through design, permitting, construction and commissioning. The Project Manager will assist the requesting department in defining the scope and budget of a given project, ensuring alignment with all affected departments, procuring and directing design and construction resources, and maintaining compliance with the client Quality System. Non construction related projects may be assigned. These projects may include facility related software systems, movement of personnel and functions to new facilities, and projects related to compliance with the client's corporate directives.
- Creates and executes project plans, revising as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
- Identifies and procures resources necessary for project completion.
- Applies advanced project management skills to multi-disciplinary projects.
- Establishes, maintains and communicates project milestones and timelines.
- Manages the project critical path including contingency planning.
- Understands basic revenue models, cost to completion projections, and manages project budgets accordingly.
- Prepares and presents project status updates to senior management staff.
- Creates and/or maintains project documentation.
- Maintains project management software to manage tasks and resources, schedule meetings, track identified activities relating to assigned projects.
- Participates in several moderately to highly complex projects or programs simultaneously.
- Continuously monitors, assesses and recommends improvements to the current Facilities Department Project Management process.
- Monitors and maintains the Facilities Contractor Prequalification program.
- Demonstrates and advocates the client's Cultural Beliefs.
- Monitors work to ensure quality and to continuously promote Quality First Time.
- May perform other duties as required or assigned.
The work assigned would be large renovations, etc. and would not require (nor probably reward) someone who is highly experienced with building large, complex projects.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient with word processing, spreadsheet, database, project management and email software.
- Ability to create, manage and meet project schedules.
- Excellent time management, planning, organization and problem solving skills.
- Proficient in Quality System and Project Management Processes.
- Must be people-oriented and a demonstrated leader.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and drive issues to closure.
I would say important skills are: 1) knowledge of the design and construction process; 2) proficiency with standard office and project management software (Microsoft Project, SmartSheets); 3) people-oriented, with strong writing and verbalizing skills; 4) ability to create, manage, and meet project schedules; 4) self-directed, but a team player; 5) ability to manage change and (re)prioritize; and 6) excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
Bachelor's Degree in the Engineering disciplines or Construction Management.
3-4 years experience in construction project management. Regulated industry experience preferred.