Responsible for administering a variety of contracts of medium to large dollar value and technical complexity with various U.S. Government agencies, aerospace OEM’s, or other industrial firms, both domestic and international customers. Responsible for the daily interaction with customers, organization, maintenance and administration of customer purchase orders through entry into the company’s computer systems. Administer all aspects of standard contracts. Support business development efforts by working closely with Sales, Marketing and Business Development personnel. Ensure contractual compliance through communication with customers and internal personnel, directly or through Marketing or Business Development personnel. Administer contract compliance and performance to specifications.
Essential Functions, Duties, and Responsibilities
This position may involve knowledge of confidential information. Such information will be handled with
the utmost discretion.
- Assists with proposal submittal, review prices, schedules, terms and conditions with customers of assigned proposals, ensuring terms are fair and acceptable to management.
- Coordinates activities with appropriate departments within Kaman Composites Wichita, concerned with the proposal(s) in order to arrive at an acceptable contract.
- Assist with review of terms and conditions with Contracts prior to proposal submittal, to identify liability and risk management issues.
- Screens all requests for quotations and identifies clauses requiring validation or exception.
- Ensures final contract documents are consistent with agreements reached at negotiations.
- Assists with the issuing of new sales orders upon signing of contract; describes work to be performed, delivery schedules, any unusual terms or conditions of the contract to ensure all terms and conditions are met.
- Evaluates contract performance to determine the necessity for amendments or extensions of
contracts, and compliance to contractual obligations.
- Submits and negotiates changes or modifications to contract as requested by the customer or as desired by the company.
- Maintains communication to ensure timely contract execution by parties – internal and external.
- Periodically meets with customers to discuss all aspects of the proposal or contract to solve problems that may arise in the performance of the contract.
- Maintains close liaison with the customer throughout the life of the contract.
- Prepares periodic reports showing pending delinquencies, sales forecasts, sales order status, etc. to keep management fully informed of progress.
- Close-out completed contracts with customers to ensure KAW interests are satisfied.
- Prepares all required and requested reports and data to management.
- Attends all meetings as requested and required.
- Provides sales support to other KCW sales assets and personnel as requested.
17. Maintain knowledge of current Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), Department of Defense FAR Supplements (DFARS) and international contracting regulations through contacts with various U.S. Government agencies, customer contacts and government/international trade journals.
- May be required to manage some key accounts.
- Works with Purchasing to ensure contractual commitments are met along with ensuring mandatory flow downs are passed along to suppliers and vendors.
- Performs all functions and activities required to verify and enter purchase orders into the company’s computer systems and related manual files.
- Sets up all purchase orders and change orders.
- Sets up and maintains the customer master file.
- Prepares order acknowledgments.
- Receives and distributes customer correspondence.
- Originates and maintains all customer quotations, purchase order masters, working files and all associated documentation.
- Prepares and types customer correspondence as required and requested.
- Coordinates production, engineering and quality issues between the customer and all related internal company departments.
- Assist the company’s financial department as necessary with information associated with customer order information.
- Participate as required in the discussion, review, and policy making activities associated with the customer order entry and other related computer applications.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned by the supervisor or manager, in addition to the essential functions listed above.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to write and prepare standard written materials, reports, correspondence, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to effectively communicate and present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to perform basic and more complicated mathematic fundamentals – add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to use PC computers and have a strong command of Microsoft software – Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Strong command of PowerPoint required. Use company computer systems, i.e. AS400, etc.
- Positive customer service.
- Understanding of the inner workings of the company, and can answer sales-related questions asked by customers, corporate, and other company personnel.
- A thorough understanding of the terminology related to the products and services that the company offers.
- Strong knowledge of the industry.
- Strong motivation and self-starting initiative is required.
- Strong people skills are required. Regularly works effectively, and relates well, with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside of the company. Exhibits a consistent professional manner in all situations. Meets the public well.
- Broad knowledge of contracts administration in both U.S. Government and commercial contracting.
- Excellent organizational skills. Must be detail-oriented – working efficiently with minimal errors
- Excellent/rapid problem solving skills – analysis of problems and situations – working independently without continual/close supervision.
- Ability to perform tasks quickly, under close time restraints and deadlines
- Basic negotiating capabilities
- Broad knowledge of FAR, DFARS and ITAR required.
- Duties require considerable judgment in reviewing contracts or modifications; recommending modifications to standard procedures in order to expedite schedules or meet changed contract terms.
- Strong decision-making skills, making decisions guided by company policies and precedent.
- Strong analyzing skills are required to review terms and conditions for any and all risks and liabilities to the company, and make recommendations to management as to how to mitigate that risk.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, or other business-related field preferred.
- Related experience in contracts administration in a federal and/or aerospace contracting environment or previous customer service experience is preferred. Education with business-related experience will be considered.
- Experience should be in both U.S. Government military and/or commercial contracting.
- Strong command of computer skills is required:
- All Microsoft Office software used by the company
- All related company systems – will be trained in these systems.
- Strong command of Powerpoint required
- Experience with positions requiring multiple priorities and the need to organize work
- Previous negotiating experience is preferred
Must qualify as a U.S. Person as defined by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) in order to access export controlled technology.
General: Maintain personal productivity and quality standards as determined by supervision. Follow standard departmental/company practices and procedures as outlined by management. Maintain area in a clean and orderly condition.
Note: This job description has excluded the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of the fundamental job duties. All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.