The Controller is responsible for leading, managing, planning and coordinating the accounting and financial reporting functions of the company, to include but not limited to, the production of periodic financial reports, maintenance of an adequate system of accounting records, and a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk, enhance the accuracy of the company's reported financial results, and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles and financial reporting standards.
Preferred geographical location is either Olympia or Puyallup, WA
The successful candidate will be able to :
- Manage the Bank’s and holding company’s accounting and financial reporting process by maintaining appropriate internal controls, planning and directing activities of staff, and ensuring the availability of timely and accurate financial data.
- Ensure timely and accurate financial reporting for management, Board of Directors, financial, tax and regulatory authorities.
- Oversee the management of daily accounting processes including investment security accounting, accounts payable, fixed assets, income taxes, prepaid expenses, and accrued expenses as well as the general ledger and other accounting systems.
- Demonstrate leadership and resourcefulness in all interactions with employees, colleagues and internal and external customers.
- Analyze transactions to determine the appropriate accounting treatment and ensure that financial reports are prepared in accordance with GAAP, regulatory requirements, or other guidelines. Provides accounting guidance, leadership and direction to company’s operating units.
- Oversee the preparation of FDIC, Federal Reserve, Security and Exchange Commission quarterly and annual reports and schedules (including Call, 10Q, 10K, FRY 9C, FRY 9LP reports). Works closely with internal and external auditors to coordinate audits.
- Assist with the development of complex financial projections involving acquisitions, mergers and business combinations. Performs due diligence analysis, as directed.
- Monitor and researches new accounting pronouncements and developments. Implements accounting policies, procedures, standards, pronouncements, and principles, as promulgated by authoritative bodies (FASB, AICPA, SEC, FDIC, etc.). Identifies any financial impacts of the new pronouncements.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; filing financial reports; advising management on needed actions.
- Provide direct reports with proper tools and authority to execute their assigned functions. Develops skills of staff through goal-setting, coaching, problem resolution, delegation, training, counseling, and performance management.
- Work collaboratively with Human Resources to recommend staffing levels and approve personnel actions such as hiring, terminations, promotions, transfers, timely performance reviews and salary increases, in accordance with legal and acceptable Bank personnel practices.
- Participate in Bank-wide projects/initiatives, as needed.
Qualifications:The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Provide an exceptional level of quality service for internal/external customers; responds to customers' needs, questions and concerns in an accurate, effective, and timely manner.
- Strong listening, verbal, written, and telephone etiquette business communication skills, including effective questioning strategies and presentation skills and ability to communicate effectively, clearly and persuasively in a variety of settings, formats, and audiences across business lines at all levels; with the ability to read, write, speak, and understand English well.
- Strong leadership and managerial skills are required to manage, motivate, and develop teams, to include oversight and management of employees in remote locations, to ensure transparency.Employee development, performance management, training and employee counseling skills required.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure the development of a high-performing group by leading, inspiring and coaching a team of managers and professionals, and facilitates cooperation and motivates team members to accomplish individual and group goals.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and manage income and expense budget(s).
- Strategic approach to decision-making with proven ability to analyze information, develop strategies and deliver results; Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with all business units to achieve common goals.
- Advanced quantitative and analytical skills are required to analyze statistical information, demonstrating proficiency performing data analysis to support business decisions through financial modeling, graphical presentation, and analytical writing.
- Advanced knowledge of finance, accounting, budgeting, and cost control principles including Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Strong problem-solving, attention to detail, organizational, data review and time management skills, with the ability to accuratelymanage multiple assignments, goals, reporting requests and staffing schedules, ensuringpriorities are set and commitments and deadlines are met, with minimal oversight and direction.
- Thoroughly understands and applies principles, procedures, compliance requirements, state/federal regulations, and policies related to assigned area of oversight.
- Unquestionable integrity in handling sensitive and confidential information required.
- Advanced use and understanding of MS Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook), with the ability to learn and adapt to new technologies quickly.
- Experience and working knowledge using Concur or similar accounts payable systems – required.
- Strong working knowledge using Fiserv Prologue financial suite or similar ERP systems experience – preferred.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting or relevant discipline – required.
- A minimum of 7 years of recent progressively responsible accounting/ finance experience in a leadership role for a major company or division of a large corporation – required. Financial services industry experience – desired.
- Professional credentials as a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) - desired.
- Equivalent combination of education, certifications and/or relevant experience in all aspects of accounting/finance in a leadership role may be considered.
- Climate controlled office environment.
- Work involves being able to concentrate on the matter at hand, under sometimes distracting work conditions and frequent employee and customer contacts and interruptions during the day.
- Work requires regular attendance, punctuality and adherence to agreed-upon schedule(s) with willingness to work a flexible and/or rotating schedule, and/or extended hours, as needed.
- Work may involve the constant use of computer screens, reading of reports, and sitting throughout the day.
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, multi-line telephone, photocopier, scanner and facsimile which often requires dexterity of hands and fingers with repetitive wrist and hand motion.
- Typically sitting at a desk or table; intermittently standing, stooping, bending at the waist, kneeling or crouching to file materials.
- Occasional lifting: 5 – 10 lbs. (files, boxes).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed and are not an exclusive list of all qualifications for this position.
Heritage Bank is an Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Job applicants have certain legal rights. Please click here for information regarding these rights.
If you need assistance completing the online application, please email: HBRecruiting@HeritageBankNW.comHelp