Position: Automation Engineer Purpose:
Oversees all activities related to process controls, maintenance, manufacturing, installation, support, documentation and testing activities of all equipment including, but not limited to, robotics, assembly, on-line fixtures, conveyor systems, etc.This positions reports directly to the Maintenance Manager and is responsible for the general and specific job duties of our client as described below:General Job Duties:In keeping with our goal of providing a positive working environment for our employees, the client provides a foundation for all of our Job Descriptions:Job Security1. Provide training, ongoing guidance (knowledge, confidence).2. Be alert (in a condition to work).3. Provide direction to organize the work (objectives, milestones).4. Provide open communication.5. Listen in good faith.6. Be aware of workplace hazards.7. Reinforce performance (reward and discipline).8. Provide accurate, honest and timely performance appraisals.9. Provide regular performance feedback.A Safe and Healthful Workplace1. Reinforce the rules (reward and discipline).2. Communicate the rules.3. Lead by example; follow the rules.4. Obtain safety training and provide it to employees.5. Anticipate needs.6. Be there for employees.7. LISTEN and act in good faith.8. Be patient.9. Lead continuous improvement.Fair Treatment1. Consistently apply the Clients Charter when decision-making2. Encourage the Open Door.3. Support the Fairness Committee, Employee Advocate and Hotline.4. Participate in all training.5. Give employee clear job instructions.6. Communicate company policies and procedures and ensure employee understands them.7. Acknowledge good performance8. Leadership free from personal bias and discrimination which includes prohibited grounds as outlined in Human Rights legislation.Competitive Wage and Benefit & Employee Equity and Profit Participation1. Provide accurate and honest feedback to Production Managers relating to performance appraisals of Team Members.2. Inform and educate employees about this Charter principle.3. LISTEN and communicate employee concerns to upper management.Communication and Information1. LISTEN.2. Earn trust.3. Be fair.4. ACT.5. Respect the Open Door Policy and abide by the 48 hr Rule.6. Provide daily/weekly feedback on issues/concerns.7. Keep notes of employee concerns to ensure feedback given in a timely manner.8. Consistently apply Handbook procedures and guidelines.Specific Job duties:
- Drive all activities relating to ensuring existing and new equipment is built and running in accordance to specifications. Including the troubleshooting, debugging, start-up and programming of all automated equipment.
- Technical expert for electrical controls, process logic controls (ex: Allen Bradley, Siemens), robot installation, programming and troubleshooting (ex; Fanuc, ABB, Motoman), vision inspection system programming.
- Support multiple PLC and other electrical controlled automated systems
- The ability to program or modify HMI's (ex; Allen Bradley, Siemens, Proface)
- Strong knowledge of Devicenet, Controlnet & Ethernet I/P networks.
- Determine correct controls for all Poke Yokes (Vision Systems, PLC's, and Robotics).
- Understand logic writing to create handshakes between the equipment and I.T Systems.
- Coordinate the development in writing and maintaining effective maintenance specification and preventative maintenance programs on all equipment to ensure top performance for productivity.
- The ability to build and wire control panels
- Keep all equipment drawings up to date as changes are implemented.
- Create training materials, as well as, conduct training of support personnel as required.
- Participate in the design of custom process automation machines, equipment, systems, devices and fixtures to support assembly requirements.
- Recommend equipment improvements and/or manufacturing methods for improvement and all equipment.
- Coordinate all mechanical/electrical system modifications with external vendors, maintenance personnel
- Support and assist maintenance personnel with diagnosing software and electrical system problems.
- Work closely with production, maintenance and engineering to establish optimized performance of all equipment.
- Identify and correct any safety issues inside the facility.
- Ensure a safe working environment by observing safe work practices and by following all safety policies and procedures.
- Exhibit a fair and consistent approach in supervising maintenance technicians, following the principles outlined in Clients Employee charter to ensure a satisfied and productive workforce
- Support the quote preparation process by reviewing and selecting appropriate PLC products.
- Initiate Engineering Change Requests (ECR) for appropriate equipment changes.
- Assist in preparation of all quotes for new business as needed.
- Assist in the negotiation of contracts with equipment vendors as needed.
- Implement continuous improvement strategies to reduce scrap cost and improve productivity and quality.
- Assists in the preparation and execution of all new program launches, including scheduling of all pilot build activities.
- Assist in establishing departmental goals and KOI's.
- Assist in determining resolutions to customer issues through the implementation of process and design changes as they relate to equipment.
- Ensure all process related documentation including FMEA, control plans and work instruction are released and maintained on time and in proper order.
- Develop an effective Best Practices process to ensure lessons learned are implemented in new programs, processes and equipment.
To perform this job successfully; an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Education/Special Knowledge:
- Bachelors Degree in Electrical, Mechatronic or Controls Engineering; or equivalent combination of education and six years experience
- Minimum 3 years experience with automated equipment in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum 3 years experience PLC programming.
- Solid understanding of principles used in multi-axis robotic systems, conveyor transport systems,
- Strong "hands-on” capability in the installation and programming robotic and PLC controls systems in a manufacturing environment.
- Demonstrated oral and written communication skills; customer focused
- Personal computer skills
- Understanding of manufacturing, assembly, sequencing and equipment principles
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
May require travel
- May be required to stand and/or sit in excess of 6 hours
- May be required to life, push and/or pull 40 pounds
- Average mobility to move around a manufacturing environment
- Able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer