The Cook prepares all recipes, meals, is responsible for the complete care, supply and maintenance of the kitchen, also the facilities. She/he may instruct residents in food preparation.
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Plan and post menus under the guidance of the Head Cook and the Director of Nutritional and Food Services.
2. Prepare and cook nutritious meals.
3. Provide direct oversight of residents assigned to kitchen job functions (OASAS Certified Residential Programs only) by supervising designated residents with regard to cleanliness, meal preparation and serving.
4. Maintain inventory and prepare purchase requisitions for food supplies in a timely fashion.
5. Supervise cleaning of the kitchen and dining room area.
6. Assures that food services meet state and local laws, regulations and health codes for sanitation and safety.
7. Responsible for the maintenance of the food and supply budget.
8. Conduct monthly Kitchen Seminar for all residents (applicable to employee at Harbor/Haven/123rd only).
9. Plan and prepare all holiday and special event meals.
10. Attend regularly scheduled staff meetings.
11. Attend all required in-service training seminars.
12. Participate in quality improvement activities.
13. Other relevant duties as requested.
REQUIREMENTS: EDUCATION/TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. High School Diploma or G.E.D required
2. Minimum of one (1) year experience in the culinary field, preferably, in a non-profit institution.
3. Must have a valid Department of Health and Mental Hygiene Qualifying Certificate in Food Protection.
4. Proficiency with computer operation (Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook programs).
5. Must be able to work a flexible schedule.
6. Position requires on call availability.