Portland Rescue Mission
Department: Women's New Life Ministry & Mission Bar-B-Que
Work Location: Shepherd's Door
Reports to: Vocational Advancement Manager and Mission BBQ Manager
Employment Status: Full Time, Exempt
Effective Date: May 2020
Typical Hours Required: Monday - Friday, some evening and weekends required
This role is responsible for the culinary training of participants in the women and children’s New Life Ministry who are serving in either the commercial kitchen of Shepherd’s Door which is a residential recovery facility with capacity for 42 women and 25 children or Mission Bar-B-Que which is a social enterprise for which side dishes are prepared at Shepherd’s Door. Shepherd’s Door commercial kitchen provides daily breakfast, lunch and dinner for about 100 people and Mission Bar-B-Que provides daily catering and food truck service. Both serve as vocational training platforms. If you have a passion for teaching culinary and customer-service skills and equipping women for work readiness and relational development then you may be just the person for this unique opportunity.
Shepherd’s Door is a community dedicated to restoring women and children who are in great need of healing from life crises and addiction. Our 12-month, Christ-centered residential program provides a safe, relational environment that cultivates sustainable life restoration through integrated addiction recovery, life skills and vocational training and spiritual formation in a retreat-like setting.
General Description of Work
This position is an integral part of the Life Skills Team at Shepherd’s Door but also supports Mission Bar-B-Que. The role will supervise the commercial kitchen at Shepherd’s Door in providing meals for residents, staff and volunteers at Shepherd’s Door and side dishes for Mission Bar-B-Que with a primary emphasis on equipping New Life Ministry participants with culinary work skills and life skills related to career readiness. This role will also ensure that excellent quality food is served, all professional food service standards are followed and there is a Christ-centered team-based culture in the kitchen and at all Mission Bar-B-Que functions. A keen understanding of commercial food service and cooking equipment is required.
This position will support the Mission Bar-B-Que in the following areas: overseeing Shepherd’s Door program participants in the preparation of all side dishes including developing new recipes, leading teams of program participants at catered events when needed, supporting participants in first impression and public speaking skills when called upon to promote Mission Bar-B-Que and Portland Rescue Mission during catered events.
- Support New Life Ministries and Mission Bar-B-Que by training participants in Culinary Training Program through real life work skills.
- Mobilize volunteers through overseeing of placement, training and supervision of volunteer staff and meal hosting groups.
- Work in collaboration with Portland Rescue Mission’s Burnside Food Service Coordinator to maximize efficiency, keep costs low, keep quality up and maintain Portland Rescue Mission food service standards.
- Support Portland Rescue Mission staff in coordinating and providing food for staff trainings, events and holidays.
- Support growth of all New Life Ministries participants in addictions recovery, spiritual formation, life skills training and culinary vocational development. Focus on developing job readiness skills of participants serving in the Culinary/Kitchen vocation and Mission Bar-B-Que; communicate and document participant progress.
- Maintain ministry guidelines and procedures for all participants using accountability growth tools. Document through participant database
- Oversee daily operations of Shepherd’s Door kitchen to include but not limited to: nutritional meal planning and preparation of participant daily meals, scheduling, cost control, waste management, food procurement and inventory control, managing health and safety standards as per County Health Dept., OSHA and Servsafe guidelines.
- Oversee the quality and preparation of all side dishes for Mission Bar-B-Que by mobilizing participants in Culinary vocation.
- Lead program participants at catered events for Mission Bar-B-Que as needed.
- Maintain good stewardship of food donations provided through the coordinated effort of all Portland Rescue Mission sites.
- Collaborate with the women’s New Life Ministries staff by communicating participant progress in vocational development.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- At least 5 years of culinary/restaurant experience
- Two years of Customer Service experience preferred
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds unassisted
- Ability to stand for several hours at a time
- Ability to perform tasks with lifting, bending, carrying, reaching, climbing
- Possess a valid driver’s license
- Ability to follow detailed instructions
- Ability to teach, coach and train while speaking daily biblical truths into lives of participants as it pertains to career readiness and life skills.
- Ability to speak to audiences of 100+ people, and small groups
- Be prompt and thorough in job performance
- Demonstrate ability to work with a team
- Ability to read and follow recipes
- Proficient in documentation, organization and scheduling
- Experience in Microsoft Windows software
- Ability to multi-task
- Creative and logical problem solving
- Ability to be a team player
Personal Attributes & Values
- A personal relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord and a testimony of continued growth in faith
- Spiritual maturity as defined by traditional biblical standards
- Adheres to Portland Rescue Missions Statement of Faith and Code of Ethics
- A gentle, grace filled manner towards others
- Possess and demonstrates excellent integrity
- Ability to handle multiple tasks as assigned
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to change and needs with a positive attitude
- Combi Oven
- Tip pot
- Robot Coupe
- Ice Maker
- Catering Equipment and Vehicles
- Complimentary beverages (coffee, tea, water) provided at no cost to employees most weekdays
- Complimentary lunches provided at no cost to employees most weekdays
- Medical, Vision, and Dental coverage
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) options
- Employer paid life insurance and long-term disability
- Optional supplemental insurance options
- 403(b) retirement plan with employer match up to 6%
- 10 paid holidays per year
- Paid vacation/sick time starting at 3 weeks per year
- Free parking
- Positive, purposeful, and supportive work environment
Other Duties as Assigned
The Mission Bar-B-Que Company exists to support the Portland Rescue Mission. Our sole purpose is to produce the best food available in Portland as a testimony to the goodness and care Jesus Christ has shown us. We take the opportunity to share our faith and the purpose the Portland Rescue Mission at any and all opportunities.
In this and any position with Portland Rescue Mission, it is impossible to predict the many requests and assignments that can and will be made on an employee. Flexibility and a cooperate spirit are crucial characteristics of the person who holds this important position and for the successful operation of Portland Rescue Mission services.
We share the Word of God and demonstrate the love of Christ to transform the lives of people experiencing homelessness or addiction.