ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Perform all pre-trip responsibilities including: obtaining and reviewing driver itinerary, checking route numbers and account numbers for assigned deliveries, counting items and checking customer invoices of products that have been loaded, moving tractors to the loading dock to attach the preloaded trailers, completing required trailer temperature checks and performing pre-trip safety check inspections of trucks and trailers according to Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations.
- Drive to and deliver customer orders to meet the scheduled customer times and maintain adequate productivity rate to meet delivery schedules. Use electronic time keeping system to log in time at customer site.
- Verify delivery of correct items with customer and obtain proper signatures. Collect money (cash or checks) where required. Contact division management for authorization of invoice discrepancies and communicate all errors and returns.
- As requested by management, drive backhauls which requires picking up product from vendors and bring back to warehouse for receiving while staying within DOT Hours of Service (HOS) regulations.
- As requested by management, drive shuttles which requires moving loaded trailers containing various food products, equipment and supplies and empty trailers to and from remote dispatch sites while staying within DOT Hours of Service (HOS) regulations.
- Must satisfactorily complete all company mandated trainings and assessments including US Foods Driver On-boarding program.
Education/Training: High School Diploma/GED preferred. Must be able to read, write and communicate in English as it relates to the job and to the safety regulations. Must have basic math skills (add, subtract, multiply, divide) and ability to work with money collected from customers to ensure the amount collected matches the invoiced amount.
Related Experience/Requirements: Minimum six months commercial driving experience or three months foodservice or food and beverage delivery experience required. Experience delivering food products preferred.
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Must be at least 21 years of age. Must be able to use, or learn to use, all equipment, global positioning systems (GPS) i.e. XATA, POD, and tools used to perform the job. Must be able to perform all job functions safely. Must be able to work the scheduled/assigned times and required overtime for the position. Must know/have ability to learn material safety data sheet information regarding all material used within the scope of the work. Must be able to perform coupling procedures for the Tractor/Trailer. Must have excellent customer service skills. Must successfully complete the DOT written examination for drivers and pass a controlled substance abuse screening test. Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions, including applying tire chains if needed. Must adhere to all safety practices and company policies.
- No more than two convictions in the past two year period for traffic violations. No more than one of these may be a serious (as defined by DOT) violation or result of an accident - company or private vehicle; No DUI convictions within past three years, regardless of type of vehicle operated; no driver's license suspension within past three years (insurance and overweight tickets are excluded); and no termination by previous employer for failure to comply with safety regulations or for accident involvement.
Physical Requirements: Must be able to pass DOT physical. Must be able to work in extreme weather conditions. Must be able to perform the following physical activities for described length of time: