Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
The Deputy General Counsel, Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer will hold a highly visible and critical role leading Facebook’s enterprise-wide risk management and compliance program, responsible for designing and implementing procedures to mitigate legal and regulatory risk across Facebook’s global business. This individual will be a leader of the company responsible for implementing compliance strategy, managing and developing a team of compliance professionals, and partnering with first-line business and product teams to ensure the design, implementation, monitoring and testing of controls that comply with applicable legal and regulatory obligations globally. The role will report to the General Counsel and will interface directly with company leadership across product, business and functional teams, working closely with key cross-functional stakeholders to develop and oversee a robust global compliance program.
The right candidate will possess and demonstrate deep experience designing and overseeing the implementation of effective compliance programs to mitigate risk, including familiarity with regulatory compliance regimes in key areas, strategy, process and systems design. The candidate will be a seasoned leader with a demonstrated record of success in compliance program management in a fast-paced, innovative business environment, who has interacted closely with regulatory bodies and other external stakeholders.
The Deputy General Counsel, Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer will be a strategic leader and function-builder who can operationalize and manage a world-class global compliance function appropriate for Facebook’s size and complexity. S/he will champion best practices, taking full accountability for an effective global compliance framework.
The successful candidate will have a proven ability to work across the organization to drive meaningful change. Through building relationships and seeking feedback, s/he will ensure that the compliance framework, programs and procedures are consistently meeting or exceeding the needs and expectations of a best-in-class compliance program and the highest standards of compliance, ethics and integrity.
1. Oversee the growth and implementation of a world-class compliance program that operates to effectively identify and mitigate legal and regulatory risk and embed the highest standards of compliance and ethics across Facebook’s global businesses.
2. Areas of focus include: Financial crime risk (sanctions, AML, CFT, other illicit finance risk), Privacy, Antitrust/Competition, Anti-Corruption/FCPA, Insider trading, Conflicts of interest, Sales and marketing, Political Activities Compliance.
3. Develop, maintain, and review policies, procedures, and processes to ensure enterprise-wide compliance with applicable internal and legal standards.
4. Design, implement, and monitor controls across relevant parts of the company to mitigate the risk of illegal, unethical or improper conduct, including but not limited to:
5. Enterprise-wide and region-specific risk assessments to identify key risks, ensure compliance controls are designed and operating to mitigate those risks, ensure effective monitoring and testing, and ensure appropriate steps are taken to identify and remediate violations of compliance policies and procedures
6. Training to ensure awareness, understanding and compliance with company policies and procedures, laws, and regulations, including both initial training and annual refreshers and updates
7. Review/adapt whistle-blower procedures, reporting
8. Review/adapt record-keeping practices
9. Review/adapt process for dealing with violations of company policy, laws, and regulations
10. Auditing to ensure compliance.
11. Provide regular feedback to the CEO, COO, General Counsel, management team, and Audit and Risk Management Committee of the Board of Directors regarding the design and operation of Facebook’s global compliance program, key risks and issues, emerging trends, and the adequacy and effectiveness of compliance program operations and resourcing.
12. Identify, propose, and implement appropriate technology solutions and compliance assurance systems to facilitate compliance with current and anticipated laws and regulations, including identifying and ensuring the quality of data and analytical methods needed to fulfill compliance oversight requirements.
13. Organize and lead third-party supplier certification initiatives to ensure appropriate compliance by corporate partners.
14. Act as the official source for documentation of Facebook’s compliance activities, including tracking (e.g., dashboards, auditing) and remediation.
15. Regularly meet and maintain positive relationships with teams across the company, including Legal, Operations, Engineering, Risk and Product Management to develop planning and implementation systems that support compliance objectives.
16. Ensure the company stays current on applicable regulations and “best practices,” including monitoring trends and patterns across the payments platform to identify potential risks and take appropriate action to mitigate such risks.
17. Manage audits and inspections from external parties and ensure findings are remediated appropriately.
18. Ensure that appropriate internal and external investigations are conducted of any violations of compliance policies, laws and regulations, both alone and in collaboration with other internal stakeholders and outside counsel.
19. Champion best practices, taking full accountability for an effective global compliance framework.
20. Ensure that the compliance framework, programs and procedures are consistently meeting or exceeding the needs and expectations of a best-in-class compliance program and the highest standards of compliance, ethics and integrity.
21. Take a proactive and strategic role in ensuring enterprise-wide compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and will do so in collaboration across business lines, management and the Board of Directors.
22. Inspire and mentor accomplished and developing professionals to strive for higher levels of achievement.
23. 15+ years of proven compliance/risk controls experience in a large, complex organization that is of similar size, scale and complexity to Facebook. Non-lawyers will also be considered assuming a track record of compliance leadership expertise.
24. Knowledge of all applicable significant regulatory compliance requirements, with an experience spotting emerging trends and “hot issues” from both internal and external data. Experience with compliance training and oversight and a track record of implementing and creating a proactive compliance culture in which compliance and business objectives are mutually reinforcing.
25. Experience developing integrated enterprise risk assessments, including experience in process and control mapping methodologies, in collaboration with global teams.
26. Demonstrated track record of reporting to executive management, the board of directors and relevant committees on emerging trends and regulatory issues.
27. Leadership, managerial, communications, negotiation, analytical, organizational, project management, strategic and/or operational planning skills, including a demonstrated experience managing both small and large global teams.
28. Experience interacting and maintaining relationships with key regulatory authorities and other external stakeholders in a highly regulated environment.
29. Knowledge about technology.
30. Organization skills and experience setting priorities, problem-solving, multi-tasking, analytical experience, a self-starter who works well independently and in a team in a dynamic, rapidly changing workplace.
31. Pragmatic, commercially oriented compliance leader who can keep pace with the demands of a rapidly changing and complex business by anticipating potential problems and proffering appropriate and effective solutions.
32. Law firm and/or regulatory experience followed by an in-house role leading a global compliance function for a company with a comparable business and risk profile is preferred.
Equal Opportunity: Facebook is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Facebook is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations due to a disability, please let us know at email@example.com.