Provides engineering and scientific leadership for the discovery, development, and evaluation of new technologies, products and solutions. Identifies the corresponding product solutions and clinical applications for these technologies, as well as the supporting analytical tests and pre-clinical assessment requirements. Partners with the Technical Development Director and Product Development Group to introduce technically and commercially viable solutions to the organization.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible to define and lead assigned research and development projects in a timely, efficient and effective manner. Prepares reports, business cases, and presentations to update management with information on project status and findings.
Works closely with Marketing, Product Development and third parties to identify and screen new technologies for applicability and viability to meet un-meet needs.
Collaborates with cross functional teams to ensure the movement of new technologies through the commercialization process. Provides ongoing support of new technologies to Product Development and Manufacturing.
Develops strategies for the selection and development of new technologies and improvement of existing processes. Creates and executes project plans to formally develop and evaluate the feasibility of new technologies in terms of practical application, estimated costs, and anticipated benefits. Identifies the risks and opportunities of the pursuit.
Works with Clinical Research, Marketing, Sales and third parties to evaluate technologies and support technical messages/claims. As applicable, presents the results of executed testing protocols and pre-clinical studies.
Coordinates with Manufacturing, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality Engineering and outside firms on all of the steps required for ongoing manufacturing including prototypes and/or pilot builds, infrastructure requirements, validations, product specifications and operating procedures or work instructions. Develops and maintains specifications for materials, technologies, and products.
Identifies pre-clinical research and analytical testing needs and supports the execution of all related activities (e.g. proposal / protocol development, approval, component processing, onsite support, data analysis, report generation, and publications).
Expected Areas of Competence
- Must possess advanced knowledge of material science, engineering, design, manufacturing processes, and technologies applicable to assigned areas of responsibility.
- Experience in and working knowledge of the design and development of mechanical components and systems, digital technologies, medical devices, analytical test methodologies and statistical analysis.
- Demonstrated ability to methodically investigate, ideate, innovate and resolve challenges in order to create and drive the most efficient and effective solutions.
Ability to define plans and schedule for assigned projects, and to drive progress to ensure on-time and successful completion.
- Professional, concise, tactful, influential and sensitive in communications. Self-driven and accomplishes objectives when communicating with internal personnel, and external customers and vendors.
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
-Ability to think creatively and adapt within a flexible environment are a must
A bachelor’s degree in engineering discipline required; MS or PhD desired.
Dental, medical device or other technology development experience preferred.
A minimum of 4 - 8 years of relevant research & development experience required.
Up to 10%