The People Operations team is newly formed, and our vision is to attract & retain top talent committed to launching innovative botanical wellness products that improve the lives of our consumers, our company, and the planet. As a new team, we will shape and build the People Operations function while supporting the development of a growing, social business to change people’s lives.
Reporting directly to the VP of People & Culture and as a key member of the People Operations Leadership Team (PLT) you will use your knowledge and experience in total rewards, continuous process improvement, and system implementations within our People Operations team and at the organizational level to ensure impactful business results. You will help exploit new technologies and tools to manage compensation & benefits programs, workforce planning, our team scorecard as well as help establish People Operations as an engine within Traditional Medicinals for creating business value. You will focus your efforts on driving best-practice adoption at a corporate-level as it relates to total rewards and operating effectiveness.
You will proactively partner with the People Operations team and business line management. Every day you will be accountable for supporting the People Operations Leadership Team (PLT) lead an HR transformation, shape organizational outcomes, and ensure our company is achieving strategic and operational objectives in performance and growth by driving a performance improvement culture.
- Provides leadership, planning and project management for the development of the cost-effective delivery of people operations, including HRIS, compensation systems, employee benefits, retirement plans, worker’s compensation, and legal compliance to all employees and business line leadership.
- Oversees executive-level benefits and provides expertise in plan design, competitive trends, and benefit compliance.
- Implements and leads the annual Salary Review process, forecasting and budget of people costs as needed, annual Incentive Pay (APB & LTIP), Open Enrollment as well as maintains the ‘POE Scorecard.’
- Enhances employee satisfaction and retention through ensuring a highly competitive total compensation plan and outstanding people operations processes. Leads team in reviewing and analyzing company-wide data to identify trends and recommend solutions to improve employee value proposition and retention.
- Promotes proactive approaches to using the HRMS to solve business needs and problems while enhancing the understanding and acceptance of the HRMS capabilities.
- Actively champion and lead the roll-out of People Operations Excellence across the organization
- Build full buy-in of line managers at every step of the process by identifying and actively removing barriers to change
- Build excellence capabilities across the organization: train, coach and support our people and people leaders as needed
- Benchmarks our internal practices with the external market to stay competitive and drive continuous improvement.
- Carry out “excellence audits” to assess progress and drive improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, business administration, engineering, or science; Master’s degree or CCP® designation strongly preferred
- 8+ years related experience in various levels of compensation & benefits design (including executive compensation programs) and administration
- 2 years relevant experience leading the implementation of operational excellence initiatives/ LEAN-management principles
- Experience in setting up, implementing, and leading a ‘Center of Expertise’
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with capability to process large amounts of data to drive business strategies and decisions.
- Hands-on experience in training and coaching others to support the development of new skills
- A solution-orientated and analytical individual, dedicated to finding pragmatic/simple solutions to complex problems
- Strong communication and relationship management skills, able to influence others without direct authority
- A high-level of social competence, ability to work cross-functionally
- Ability to self-start and self-direct work in an unstructured environment; comfort dealing with ambiguity.
- Integrity & Trust – Is widely trusted; is seen as a direct, truthful individual; can present the unvarnished truth in an appropriate and helpful manner; keeps confidences; admits mistakes; doesn’t misrepresent him/herself for personal gain.
- Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Managing & Measuring Work - Clearly assigns responsibility for tasks and decisions; sets clear objectives and measures; monitors process, progress, and results; designs feedback loops into work.
- Process Management – Good at figuring out the processes necessary to get things done; knows how to organize people and activities; understands how to separate and combine tasks into efficient work flow; knows what to measure and how to measure it; can see opportunities for synergy and integration where others can't; can simplify complex processes; gets more out of fewer resources.
- Managerial Courage – Doesn’t hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete, and “actionable” positive and corrective feedback to others; lets people know where they stand; faces up to people problems on any person or situation (not including direct reports) quickly and directly; is not afraid to take negative action when necessary.
- Dealing with Ambiguity - Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle
A Partnership With Other Teams
The people operations team you’d be joining cares about our people for moral but also supremely practical reasons: people are our passion. As the company fastly grows, we’ve learned how to collaborate with our partners, and now we’re learning how to become more confident in using data & insights to deliver on our employee value proposition and support our people leaders.
Our Culture and our Mission are our Special Ingredients
First and foremost, we want someone who amplifies our culture, so that the company gets more, not less, idiosyncratic over time. We think of our culture almost like a product we build; we’re both thoughtful and deliberate in our approach.
Everyone Tills the Soil
Of course, we’d need you to be a hard worker, because Traditional Medicinals is an, “everyone digs in” kind of company. We have a service mentality, where the people team serves employees. We believe in civility and respect. However, we expect you to say what’s hard or unpopular even when folks disagree; this is part of how we figure things out, and it’s especially important for a successful member of the PLT.