Director of Accounting
- Job Label:
For the Director of Accounting who brings a strong technical accounting background, is polished working cross functionally and who is proven being the right hand to senior executive leadership, here's an opportunity with Best Western Hotels & Resorts that plays a vital role within the organization.
Leverage your CPA as you take ownership for supervising and directing the general accounting operations, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and general ledger. Your ability to get down in the nitty gritty and roll-up your sleeves as needed, showing off your debits credits prowess, is exactly what we seek. Brining your hands-on agility for completing ad-hoc projects along with a strength for assessing a project from a high-level perspective will set your experience apart. Combine that with your Big4 public accounting background and SOX knowledge (preferred) and you just might be the perfect fit.
As our Accounting Director, based from our corporate headquarters in Phoenix, AZ your primary mission is to develop, direct, plan, evaluate and document accounting policies and procedures that are related to monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting of operating results and financial position. Your ability to deliver results will be invaluable as the key person directing general accounting operations and your responsibilities will also include:
- Accomplish departmental objectives by managing the most complex economic and financial projects. Oversees/defines project objectives, scope, requirements, budgets and schedules.
- Direct quarterly reviews and annual audits.
- Enforce month end SOX compliance procedures.
- Responsible for researching, working with outside consultants, and providing guidance to the Company when adoption of new accounting pronouncements is required (e.g. Revenue Recognition Standard ASU 606, Lease accounting, etc.)
- Communicate cross departmentally to achieve Company goals.
- Ensure accounting accuracy and compliance with applicable regulations, accounting guidance and Company policies by continually reviewing Company practices, policies and reporting.
- Responsible for the accuracy and integrity of all general ledger accounts. Ensure accurate and timely period-end closings. Ensures Company accounting and reporting policies as well as accounts payable, accounts receivable, and payroll policies are fully documented and adhered to.
- Ensure continual process improvement by evaluating and enhancing current processes, internal controls, and systems. Monitors projects to ensure business objectives are met by conducting follow-up reviews. Assesses and validates internal controls and performs risk control assessments.
- Recommend course corrections as needed. Works collaboratively with all other departments. Proactively communicates observations, issues and recommendations to all levels of management. Provides functional support to business leaders as required.
- Fulfill business requirements by creating ad hoc reporting for upper management.
- Partner with Divisional Controllers by understanding the different business units of BWI and supporting Company initiatives.
- Convey sense of purpose and motivates others (outside of direct supervision) to accomplish goals, continually motivates and develops accounting staff by assessing strengths and opportunities and providing appropriate developmental and training opportunities. Implements successful hiring and retention practices.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Master of Business Administration preferred.
- CPA required.
- SOX experience a plus.
- Minimum eight (8) years progressive experience.
- Extensive management experience required.
- Experience in both major public accounting firm and private industry.
- Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and have the ability to present ideas and goals.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Individual who demonstrates desire for continuous improvement; resolves broadly defined problems by identifying root cause and creative solutions.
If you are motivated by more than just a love for numbers and you're ready to make a significant career move, we want to hear from you.
Best Western Hotels and Resorts headquartered in Phoenix, Arizona, is a privately held hotel brand with a global network of 4,100† hotels in more than 100† countries and territories worldwide. Best Western offers 10 hotel brands to suit the needs of developers and guests in every market: Best Western®, Best Western Plus®, Best Western Premier®, Vīb®, GLō®, Executive Residency by Best Western®, and BW Premier Collection®; as well as its recently launched franchise offerings: SureStay®, SureStay Plus® and SureStay Collection®. Now celebrating more than 70 years of hospitality, Best Western provides its hoteliers with global operational, sales and marketing support, and award-winning online and mobile booking capabilities. Best Western continues to set industry records regarding awards and accolades, including 64 percent of the brand’s North American hotels earning a TripAdvisor® Certificate of Excellence award in 2017, Business Travel News® ranking Best Western Plus and Best Western in the top three upper-mid-price and mid-price hotel brands for three years in a row, and Best Western receiving seven consecutive Dynatrace® Best of the Web awards for its leading hotel website. Best Western has also won eight consecutive AAA®/CAA® Lodging Partner of the Year awards, recognizing the brand’s commitment to providing exceptional service and great value to AAA’s 56 million members in the U.S. and Canada. Over 30 million travelers are members of the brand’s award-winning loyalty program Best Western Rewards®, one of the few programs in which members earn points that never expire and can be redeemed at any Best Western hotel worldwide. Best Western’s partnerships with AAA/CAA and Harley-Davidson® provide travelers with exciting ways to interact with the brand. Through its partnership with Google® Street View, Best Western is the first major company of its size and scale to launch a virtual reality experience for customers, setting a new industry standard and reinventing how guests view hotels.
- Related Keywords:
- Senior manager, Director, executive reporting, audit, report distribution, financial analysis, Sarbanes Oxley, SOX, US GAAP, Big4, strategic operating plans, quarterly target setting, variance, balance sheet, P&L, valuation analysis, cash flow, accounting, finance, GL, AP, AR, payroll, CPA, accounts reconciliation, financial reporting, Excel, Oracle, PeopleSoft, WorkDay, bank statements, transactions, aging accounts, pivot table, v look-up, h look-up, queries, query